Updated Apr 28, 2013 - 7:41 am
CBSSports.com NFL writer: Cardinals GM Keim a big winner in 2013 NFL Draft
And lucky for Keim, CBSSports.com NFL writer Will Brinson didn't wait long to dish out the first form of flattery.
In his "2013 NFL Draft: Winners and Losers" column, Brinson wrote that Keim "killed it" throughout the three days by adding talent and depth at positions of need for the Cardinals.
Steve Keim: It ain't easy being the Cardinals right now, with the Seahawks, Rams and 49ers all looking like potential division winners in the NFC West. But give credit where credit is due to the first-year GM in Arizona, because Keim did a superb job during his first full draft on the gig.
Jonathan Cooper is going to end up, when all is said and done, as one of the five best players in this draft. He'll be a perennial Pro Bowl candidate and will immediately help the Cards' offensive line. Stepfan Taylor and Andre Ellington are a very interesting pair of running backs to add to the stable and two guys that fit the new-age idea of what a running back should be. Alex Okafor looks like a steal in the third, and I'm a big fan of the LSU pair of Mathieu and Kevin Minter and what they'll bring to the defense. It's an uphill climb in a loaded division, but Keim and Bruce Arians made some serious strides for the Cardinals this offseason.
What was also rather impressive about the Cardinals' draft was Keim's ability to take quality leaders. While Tyrann Mathieu's missteps at LSU are no secret at this point, all nine draft picks at one time or another were captains. Seven of the nine were also four-year players.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.