Updated Apr 29, 2013 - 3:51 pm
Stepfan Taylor ready to get to work for the Cardinals
"I think I'm a complete back," he told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "I try to take pride in being able to have as many weapons as possible.
"I just want to find a way on the field."
Taylor, who left Stanford as the school's all-time rushing leader, will likely start camp penciled in behind free agent acquisition Rashard Mendenhall and third-year pro Ryan Williams. However, both Mendenhall and Williams have extensive injury histories, and there is not much proven depth behind those two.
So, it's very possible the 140th pick in the draft will find his way onto the field in his rookie season.
Taylor ran for a career-best 1,530 yards as a senior while catching 41 passes for 287 yards. He tallied 13 rushing touchdowns and another two as a receiver, and is known to be a good blocker, too. It's that well-rounded game that drew the Cardinals to him, and it's precisely the reason some view him as a player who could make an impact in 2013.
Taylor, who said he may very well start out on special teams, says he will definitely come into the season with a bit of a chip on his shoulder. However, he said the draft is now a thing of the past, and from here everyone is in the same boat with regards to having to make the team.
That's why, regardless of where he may have thought he deserved to go -- or where he thought he would go -- at this point the only thing that matters is he does all he can to earn and keep a roster spot.
"You want that foot in the door, and once you get in you've got to work and compete," he said. "Players across the world want to be in this position, and they're going to take it from you. You've got to be ready for that."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.