Updated Apr 30, 2013 - 9:43 am
ESPN's Kiper: Jonathan Cooper an 'early impact' player
If the goal when selecting in the top 10 of the NFL Draft is to find an impact player who will make said impact as a rookie, well, that's a completely different issue.
At any rate, according to ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr., in an ESPN Insider piece titled 'Early impact from Round 1,' the Arizona Cardinals did exactly that with first-round pick Jonathan Cooper.
If we did a poll of evaluators and asked, "Which rookie is most likely to make the Pro Bowl?" I think Cooper would get a lot of votes. He has an NFL-ready skill set, is versatile and could be a very good NFL player at either guard or center, and he's going to start immediately. He'll have an impact.
Cooper is expected to start for the Cardinals, probably at right guard, and if all goes according to plan will man that position for at least the next decade.
But for now, at least, it appears the team may have found itself someone who is ready to play -- and play well -- as a rookie.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals don't want to be NFC West's 'stepchild' any longer
- Arizona Cardinals will have Andre Ellington back on the field vs. Rams
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 6
- A different kind of measuring stick awaits Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' coach expects 'questionable' Carson Palmer to play Sunday vs. St. Louis Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?