Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
Carson Palmer a big fan of Cardinals' draft, offensive playbook
"Any time you pick an offensive guy in the first couple rounds, I'm greedy I always want more offensive weapons, and we've got some exciting ones coming in," Palmer told the NFL Network Tuesday.
While the selection of Cooper was by no means considered a sexy pick, for a team that allowed a league-high 58 quarterback sacks in 2012 it was certainly the safe choice.
Palmer was asked if he had any concerns about a lack of pass protection following his trade to the Cardinals, but the two-time Pro Bowler said he thought the offensive line's woes had more to do with health than an absence of talent.
"It's something you hear about," said Palmer. "But, every year is a new year. You look at last year, and they had catastrophic injuries all the way across the board. They lost their anchor in Levi Brown in the first week of preseason, and guys just had freak injuries all the way across the board.
"Four of the five guys were hurt, and they've all battled back to get healthy. Obviously, with the addition of Jonathan (Cooper) and a couple other guys in the draft, we're looking to turn that around and improve in that category."
Palmer, who threw 35 touchdowns and 30 interceptions in two seasons with the Oakland Raiders, hasn't even been in the Valley for a month yet, but already he admitted he's ecstatic to be leading Bruce Arians' offense.
For a quarterback who has never been shy about slinging the football down field, the former Heisman Trophy winner believes the Cardinals' playbook is perfectly suited for his skill set.
"I love (the offense)," said Palmer. "I've been a fan of (Bruce Arians') offenses for years. I've played against them and seen them on film a ton. Not only are the plays in the playbook great, but he has great timing. He sets up and gets mismatches, gets bigger, faster guys on slower guys and finds ways to get the ball to guys like Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd.
"I'm a big fan, I've been a big fan of it. Now to be in this offense and have him calling the plays is very exciting for me."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 20, 2014
- Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander defends Daniel Snyder but thinks Redskins should change name
- New Arizona Cardinals defensive lineman Isaac Sopoaga thrown right into the mix
- Arizona Cardinals' Tyrann Mathieu practices for the first time this season
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.