Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
LSU coach Les Miles: Kevin Minter 'will be an every-down player'
The Cardinals didn't wait long to address the need, but their selection was a bit of a surprise. Despite Manti Te'o and Kiko Alonso still on the board, Steve Keim and Co. ultimately traded down from No. 38 to No. 45 and opted for LSU's Kevin Minter.
Minter, who was a Butkus Award finalist in 2012, had 130 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss and four sacks during his junior season, but his former college coach said Arizona is getting more than just a guy who can put up stats.
"(The Cardinals) got a guy with a real knack for inline play," Les Miles told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "It'll be real difficult for the ball to be run between the tackles, Kevin Minter just knows where to be.
"And when he tackles, he tackles it hard and he tackles it low. He gets into a zone where that guy is sideline-to-sideline, he's inline and his presence is felt."
While Miles noted that Minter will need to prove to the Cardinals' coaching staff that he can play in zone coverage and in man-to-man coverage, he sees the former LSU linebacker playing a lot of snaps right away.
"I think he'll be an every-down player," said Miles. "He's a guy who will make a lot of big-time tackles.
"He's another one that's going to be true blue, when the coach says, 'This is what I'm seeing,' he's going to say 'I agree.' If the coach says, 'This is how we're going to operate and where headed,' Kevin Minter will follow right in that. He was the leader of our team."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Arizona Cardinals RB Stepfan Taylor 'expecting more of a role' in 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: Carson Chats - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals training camp: All-Access with Bruce Arians - July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals rookie John Brown continues to impress while ignoring the hype
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b