Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
LSU coach Les Miles: Kevin Minter 'will be an every-down player'
The Cardinals didn't wait long to address the need, but their selection was a bit of a surprise. Despite Manti Te'o and Kiko Alonso still on the board, Steve Keim and Co. ultimately traded down from No. 38 to No. 45 and opted for LSU's Kevin Minter.
Minter, who was a Butkus Award finalist in 2012, had 130 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss and four sacks during his junior season, but his former college coach said Arizona is getting more than just a guy who can put up stats.
"(The Cardinals) got a guy with a real knack for inline play," Les Miles told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "It'll be real difficult for the ball to be run between the tackles, Kevin Minter just knows where to be.
"And when he tackles, he tackles it hard and he tackles it low. He gets into a zone where that guy is sideline-to-sideline, he's inline and his presence is felt."
While Miles noted that Minter will need to prove to the Cardinals' coaching staff that he can play in zone coverage and in man-to-man coverage, he sees the former LSU linebacker playing a lot of snaps right away.
"I think he'll be an every-down player," said Miles. "He's a guy who will make a lot of big-time tackles.
"He's another one that's going to be true blue, when the coach says, 'This is what I'm seeing,' he's going to say 'I agree.' If the coach says, 'This is how we're going to operate and where headed,' Kevin Minter will follow right in that. He was the leader of our team."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Michael Floyd: A threat Arizona Cardinals have not had since Anquan Boldin
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?