Updated May 1, 2013 - 6:45 am
LSU coach Les Miles: Kevin Minter 'will be an every-down player'
The Cardinals didn't wait long to address the need, but their selection was a bit of a surprise. Despite Manti Te'o and Kiko Alonso still on the board, Steve Keim and Co. ultimately traded down from No. 38 to No. 45 and opted for LSU's Kevin Minter.
Minter, who was a Butkus Award finalist in 2012, had 130 total tackles, 15 tackles for loss and four sacks during his junior season, but his former college coach said Arizona is getting more than just a guy who can put up stats.
"(The Cardinals) got a guy with a real knack for inline play," Les Miles told Arizona Sports 620's Doug & Wolf Tuesday. "It'll be real difficult for the ball to be run between the tackles, Kevin Minter just knows where to be.
"And when he tackles, he tackles it hard and he tackles it low. He gets into a zone where that guy is sideline-to-sideline, he's inline and his presence is felt."
While Miles noted that Minter will need to prove to the Cardinals' coaching staff that he can play in zone coverage and in man-to-man coverage, he sees the former LSU linebacker playing a lot of snaps right away.
"I think he'll be an every-down player," said Miles. "He's a guy who will make a lot of big-time tackles.
"He's another one that's going to be true blue, when the coach says, 'This is what I'm seeing,' he's going to say 'I agree.' If the coach says, 'This is how we're going to operate and where headed,' Kevin Minter will follow right in that. He was the leader of our team."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.