Updated May 1, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Cardinals' guard Earl Watford bringing confidence to NFL
Eight of those players come from big-time FBS college programs like LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Clemson.
Then there's fourth-round pick Earl Watford, a guard out of James Madison -- a program that now has had only three players drafted since 2000.
Watford joined Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620 and was asked if he's got a chip on his shoulder since he went to a smaller school and lasted until the fourth round.
"Oh, of course I have a chip on my shoulder," Watford answered. "But at the same time, I played in the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association), great competition, great players and there are a lot of players from there in the NFL right now."
Watford understands that many will doubt his ability since his college career wasn't spent going against powerhouse competition week in, week out.
"I'm here to prove to players and my teammates that I can play," he said. "Just because I didn't play in the SEC doesn't mean I can't hold up."
Watford is confident in his abilities as a run blocker and a pass protector. In fact, he only gave up one sack in his college career at JMU.
"That's what they say, I don't think I gave up that one," he joked.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Arizona Cardinals sign Oakland Raiders LT Jared Veldheer
- Arizona Cardinals react to Karlos Dansby's departure
- Arizona Cardinals to lose LB Karlos Dansby to Cleveland Browns
- Karlos Dansby attracting many suitors for his services
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?