Updated May 1, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Cardinals' guard Earl Watford bringing confidence to NFL
Eight of those players come from big-time FBS college programs like LSU, Texas, Texas A&M and Clemson.
Then there's fourth-round pick Earl Watford, a guard out of James Madison -- a program that now has had only three players drafted since 2000.
Watford joined Doug and Wolf Wednesday on Arizona Sports 620 and was asked if he's got a chip on his shoulder since he went to a smaller school and lasted until the fourth round.
"Oh, of course I have a chip on my shoulder," Watford answered. "But at the same time, I played in the CAA (Colonial Athletic Association), great competition, great players and there are a lot of players from there in the NFL right now."
Watford understands that many will doubt his ability since his college career wasn't spent going against powerhouse competition week in, week out.
"I'm here to prove to players and my teammates that I can play," he said. "Just because I didn't play in the SEC doesn't mean I can't hold up."
Watford is confident in his abilities as a run blocker and a pass protector. In fact, he only gave up one sack in his college career at JMU.
"That's what they say, I don't think I gave up that one," he joked.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.