Updated May 3, 2013 - 11:59 am
Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington suspected to be involved in domestic dispute
PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Police Department has been investigating a domestic dispute in which a woman claims she was the victim of an incident involving Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington.
When police arrived to the home in Ahwatukee on Wednesday Washington had left. Sources say there are clear indications the victim had been physically attacked.
As of Friday morning, police said they have spoken with Washington and are planning to provide an update to the situation Friday afternoon.
"These are serious accusations that we are closely monitoring. Until all the facts are determined, and out of respect for the process, we will decline any further comment at this point," a Cardinals spokesperson said in a statement.
Washington, 26, was suspended by the NFL earlier this offseason for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
When Washington was 17 and before he became a star at Texas Christian he had a run-in with the law that put him on probation until 2009.
He and a group of now-former friends were involved in a fight, and they stole money from the lone victim. They were later arrested, and Washington — charged as an adult — ultimately received probation time for robbery that didn't end until last year.
He was a Pro Bowl alternate who got to play in the game after posting 134 tackles -- 108 solo -- and nine sacks in 2012. For his career, the former second-round pick out of TCU has accumulated 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions. He signed a six-year, $32 million contract extension prior to the 2012 season.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?