Updated May 3, 2013 - 11:59 am
Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington suspected to be involved in domestic dispute
PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Police Department has been investigating a domestic dispute in which a woman claims she was the victim of an incident involving Arizona Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington.
When police arrived to the home in Ahwatukee on Wednesday Washington had left. Sources say there are clear indications the victim had been physically attacked.
As of Friday morning, police said they have spoken with Washington and are planning to provide an update to the situation Friday afternoon.
"These are serious accusations that we are closely monitoring. Until all the facts are determined, and out of respect for the process, we will decline any further comment at this point," a Cardinals spokesperson said in a statement.
Washington, 26, was suspended by the NFL earlier this offseason for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
When Washington was 17 and before he became a star at Texas Christian he had a run-in with the law that put him on probation until 2009.
He and a group of now-former friends were involved in a fight, and they stole money from the lone victim. They were later arrested, and Washington — charged as an adult — ultimately received probation time for robbery that didn't end until last year.
He was a Pro Bowl alternate who got to play in the game after posting 134 tackles -- 108 solo -- and nine sacks in 2012. For his career, the former second-round pick out of TCU has accumulated 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions. He signed a six-year, $32 million contract extension prior to the 2012 season.
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Arizona Cardinals ranked 11th in Pro Football Talk's preseason power rankings
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.
- Kurt Warner, former AZ Cardinals QB - Thursday June 19How does he feel about being inducted into Cardinals' Ring of Honor?
- Kurt Warner- Former Cardinals QB - Wednesday June 18Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner talks about being inducted into the Ring of Honor.