Updated May 3, 2013 - 3:08 pm
Cardinals linebacker Daryl Washington arrested, booked into jail
This stems from an incident that occurred Wednesday afternoon.
According to the police report, Washington had paid a visit to the accuser's apartment to see their baby, which was not out of the ordinary. However, at some point Washington left to take the baby to Dairy Queen, which upset the woman.
Upon Washington's return with the baby, the report states he and his ex-girlfriend got into an argument, which continued as they reached the top of the apartment complex's stairs. The report states that from there, as the woman asked Washington to return the baby to her, pushed the woman away and would not allow her to get close enough to him to take the baby. The report goes on to say Washington, at some point, "extended his hand and grabbed" the woman by the neck before pushing her over to the landing railing while choking her.
The report says Washington eventually let loose of his grip and the woman was able to take the baby from him, but as she tried to close the apartment door behind her he shoved it open and "pushed his way in."
The report says the woman's injuries were consistent with her account of the events.
Washington has released a statement:
"This is a legal matter and I am limited in what I can say other than that my lawyer and I will continue to cooperate with investigators and welcome the opportunity for all the facts to be presented. I regret that the situation has brought this kind of attention to my family and my team. I look forward to resolving it as soon as possible."
KTAR has learned that Washington and the victim currently have cases in the family court system in Maricopa County.
Washington, 26, was suspended by the NFL earlier this offseason for violating the league's substance abuse policy.
Washington was a Pro Bowl alternate in 2012 after finishing the season with 134 tackles and nine sacks. The former second-round pick out of TCU has tallied 319 tackles, 15 sacks and four interceptions as an Arizona Cardinal. He signed a six-year, $32 million contract extension prior to the 2012 season.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!