Updated May 6, 2013 - 4:45 pm
Calais Campbell: Defense won't change much, offense will be better
That the team lost 11 games was, by and large, the fault of an incredibly faulty offense.
Still, defensive coordinator Ray Horton was a casualty of the coaching change from Ken Whisenhunt to Bruce Arians, which has some concerned that the defense will not be as good in 2013.
However, defensive end Calais Campbell, who tallied 6.5 sacks in 13 games last season, says there really isn't much difference between Horton and new defensive coordinator Todd Bowles.
"The only real difference is what he's allowing us to do on the defensive line," Campbell told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Monday. "But as far as the scheme goes, it's very, very similar. It's the same defense, pretty much."
Where things will be different, at least one hopes, is on the offensive side of the ball. The Cardinals were second-worst last season in points per game and dead last in total yards.
Enter new quarterback Carson Palmer, among other players, and there's a sense of optimism that things will turn around.
"Our offense wills core lots of points," Campbell said. "I love Carson Palmer being on the team.
"That gives us a lot more confidence to try and give him the ball because you know he can do a lot of great things with it."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!