Updated May 23, 2013 - 1:48 pm
Cardinals sign third-round pick Tyrann Mathieu
Details of the contract were not released, though there was early speculation that it might include no guaranteed money. However, Mathieu's agent said that would not be the case, and according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the player will get his full slotted signing bonus, with some of it will be paid up front and the rest coming as roster bonuses.
A defensive back from LSU, Mathieu enters the league as one of the more talented and intriguing rookies. In two seasons with the Tigers, he had eight fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles, four interceptions, 133 tackles, 16 passes defensed and six sacks. He also returned 27 punts for 421 yards and two touchdowns. However, Mathieu was dismissed from the team before the 2012 season due to drug-related issues, and he has not played a down of football since.
Mathieu is the sixth member of the Cardinals' 2013 draft class to sign, leaving them with three to go, as first-round pick Jonathan Cooper along with fourth-round selections Alex Okafor and Earl Watford have yet to sign.
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Arizona Cardinals' Bobby Massie eager to earn back starting job at right tackle
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.