Updated May 23, 2013 - 1:48 pm
Cardinals sign third-round pick Tyrann Mathieu
Details of the contract were not released, though there was early speculation that it might include no guaranteed money. However, Mathieu's agent said that would not be the case, and according to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport the player will get his full slotted signing bonus, with some of it will be paid up front and the rest coming as roster bonuses.
A defensive back from LSU, Mathieu enters the league as one of the more talented and intriguing rookies. In two seasons with the Tigers, he had eight fumble recoveries, 11 forced fumbles, four interceptions, 133 tackles, 16 passes defensed and six sacks. He also returned 27 punts for 421 yards and two touchdowns. However, Mathieu was dismissed from the team before the 2012 season due to drug-related issues, and he has not played a down of football since.
Mathieu is the sixth member of the Cardinals' 2013 draft class to sign, leaving them with three to go, as first-round pick Jonathan Cooper along with fourth-round selections Alex Okafor and Earl Watford have yet to sign.
- Arizona Cardinals to host Big Red Rib & Music Festival
- Arizona Cardinals' Daryl Washington now has a two-strike count on him
- NFL Draft '14: A closer look at Alabama QB A.J. McCarron
- Arizona Cardinals LB Daryl Washington sentenced to probation
- Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald excited about team's offensive additions
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?