Updated May 24, 2013 - 11:46 am
Report: Tyrann Mathieu to face up to 10 drug tests per month
The Arizona Cardinals' third round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Mathieu was dismissed from LSU prior to last season because of multiple drug-related issues. Since then, the 21-year-old has worked to get back on the field and stay clean.
The Cardinals took a chance by drafting him, and now it's up to Mathieu to show he has indeed turned his life around. And if he hasn't, it won't be a secret.
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Mathieu has entered into the NFL's drug-testing program and could be subject to up to 10 tests per month.
Mathieu has welcomed all additional drug testing, agreeing to be tested once per week upon being drafted by the Cardinals. Because he's in the league's program, he'll have no choice.
Mathieu's agent, Pat Lawlor, told Rapoport that "both sides understood the issues we were dealing with."
Sounds like everyone is on the same page, and that's a good thing. The Cardinals took a chance on Mathieu because of his undeniable talent, but the reason he fell to the third round is because of his undeniable past.
And the hope, for all parties involved, is that a bright future awaits.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Bradley Sowell, offensive line bounce back for Arizona Cardinals
- What a difference a year makes for Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?