Updated May 24, 2013 - 11:46 am
Report: Tyrann Mathieu to face up to 10 drug tests per month
The Arizona Cardinals' third round pick in the 2013 NFL Draft, Mathieu was dismissed from LSU prior to last season because of multiple drug-related issues. Since then, the 21-year-old has worked to get back on the field and stay clean.
The Cardinals took a chance by drafting him, and now it's up to Mathieu to show he has indeed turned his life around. And if he hasn't, it won't be a secret.
According to NFL.com's Ian Rapoport, Mathieu has entered into the NFL's drug-testing program and could be subject to up to 10 tests per month.
Mathieu has welcomed all additional drug testing, agreeing to be tested once per week upon being drafted by the Cardinals. Because he's in the league's program, he'll have no choice.
Mathieu's agent, Pat Lawlor, told Rapoport that "both sides understood the issues we were dealing with."
Sounds like everyone is on the same page, and that's a good thing. The Cardinals took a chance on Mathieu because of his undeniable talent, but the reason he fell to the third round is because of his undeniable past.
And the hope, for all parties involved, is that a bright future awaits.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.