Updated Jun 17, 2013 - 2:50 pm
Sporting News: Michael Floyd a breakout candidate for 2013
Forty-five receptions, 562 yards, two touchdowns.
However, while the former Notre Dame star did not exactly stand out, Floyd did record 17 receptions for 250 yards and one touchdown over the final three games of the year, including an eight-reception, 166-yard and one touchdown performance in the season finale against the San Francisco 49ers.
He gave us all a glimpse of what could be in store, and according to Sporting News' Vinnie Iyer, the former No. 13 pick is number three on a list of players primed for a breakout 2013.
Arizona drafted the former Notre Dame star thinking he would be a terrific complement to its established superstar, Larry Fitzgerald. That didn't come to fruition as Floyd saw little time on the field as a rookie. But like it does for many young receivers, the light has started to come on during Floyd's second offseason. It helps the Cardinals now have a legitimate quarterback, Carson Palmer, who can get the ball to him as the No. 2 or No. 3 option.
The team's struggles at quarterback last season likely kept everyone's numbers down, as even Larry Fitzgerald struggled with the quartet of John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer leading the offense.
And if Palmer, who was brought in during the offseason, can plug that hole, the rest of the offense -- Floyd included -- stands to benefit greatly.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.