Updated Jun 19, 2013 - 10:40 am
Cardinals coach: As of now, Rashard Mendenhall is the starting running back
"There's no doubt," Cardinals coach Bruce Arians told the NFL Network Tuesday when asked if the former Steeler would be the lead back. "You know, Rashard is just 25 years old, and he took me, personally, to a Super Bowl and I know what he can bring to the table as a runner and a pass protector and also a receiver.
"So he's an every-down player and I think he's looking forward to having an outstanding season."
Mendenhall, who signed a one-year contract with the team in the offseason, rushed for just 182 yards on 51 carries last season. He was recovering from a torn ACL in his right knee, though, and Arians says that very much negatively affected his play.
"I think the ACL led to a little Achilles tendinitis and everything's fine right now," Arians said. "He's healthy and ready to go."
Prior to last season, Mendenhall had produced three consecutive campaigns with at least 900 yards and seven touchdowns, including highs of 1,273 yards and 13 scores in 2010.
And while no one will expect those types of numbers for a team that finished a distant last in the NFL in rushing in 2012, something close would go a long way in turning both Mendenhall's career -- and the Cardinals' fortunes -- around.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Report: Cardinals LB John Abraham arrested, charged with DUI in Georgia in June
- Notes from the Nest: July 28, 2014
- Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper: 'I felt OK' after first practice with pads
- Cardinals WR Michael Floyd on 2014 training camp: 'Everything comes faster'
- Teddy Williams looking to make Arizona Cardinals as a cornerback
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b
- Antonio Cromartie, Cardinals defensive back - Monday July 28Antonio Cromartie talks about his expectations for this year's Arizona Cardinals.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Monday July 28Cardinals coach Bruce Arians talks about the first days of training camp and what he's seen from pl
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.