Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 9:47 am
Video of Cardinals rookie on treadmill goes viral
Robert Gill, a 5-foot-10 wide receiver, has yet to play in the NFL and may not make the Cardinals' final roster, according to NBC Sports, but his speed is making everyone do a double take.
The Cardinals' website said Gill is the oldest rookie currently on an NFL roster. Since playing ball at Texas State, Gill has bounced around several lower-level professional leagues, including the Canadian Football League (where he never saw the field) and the Arena Football League, last playing from 2011 to 2012 for the now-defunct Kansas City Command. Gill's coach in Kansas City, Danton Barto, now a scout with the St. Louis Rams, compared his speed to Deion Sanders.
Cardinals scout Josh Scobey invited Gill for a tryout earlier this year. After his first day at the team's mini-camp in April, Gill was offered a three-year contract by the team.
"He has an element you can't teach, which is speed," Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim said. "The fact that he's a 29-year-old rookie who has taken the long road to get here says a lot about his passion, desire and overall commitment to the game."
The treadmill video is not the first to tout his speed. Gill has posted several videos of himself on YouTube titled "The Fastest Man in Arena Football."
He even tweeted the treadmill video directly to Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians.
It's doubtful Gill will see the Arena-to-NFL success that Kurt Warner had, but Cardinals coaches are liking what they see so far, and there may be a spot for him on the roster come September.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Franz's 2013 NFL Power Poll - Week 15
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.