Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 9:47 am
Video of Cardinals rookie on treadmill goes viral
Robert Gill, a 5-foot-10 wide receiver, has yet to play in the NFL and may not make the Cardinals' final roster, according to NBC Sports, but his speed is making everyone do a double take.
The Cardinals' website said Gill is the oldest rookie currently on an NFL roster. Since playing ball at Texas State, Gill has bounced around several lower-level professional leagues, including the Canadian Football League (where he never saw the field) and the Arena Football League, last playing from 2011 to 2012 for the now-defunct Kansas City Command. Gill's coach in Kansas City, Danton Barto, now a scout with the St. Louis Rams, compared his speed to Deion Sanders.
Cardinals scout Josh Scobey invited Gill for a tryout earlier this year. After his first day at the team's mini-camp in April, Gill was offered a three-year contract by the team.
"He has an element you can't teach, which is speed," Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim said. "The fact that he's a 29-year-old rookie who has taken the long road to get here says a lot about his passion, desire and overall commitment to the game."
The treadmill video is not the first to tout his speed. Gill has posted several videos of himself on YouTube titled "The Fastest Man in Arena Football."
He even tweeted the treadmill video directly to Cardinals Head Coach Bruce Arians.
It's doubtful Gill will see the Arena-to-NFL success that Kurt Warner had, but Cardinals coaches are liking what they see so far, and there may be a spot for him on the roster come September.
Andrew Gilstrap, Web Content Editor - KTAR.com/ArizonaSports.com
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.