Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 12:13 pm
Arizona Cardinals' starting lineup is graded
While it's too early to know for sure, the offense and defense figure to have at least nine new starters compared to the group that finished last season, and the hope is each will present a significant upgrade.
But according to ProFootballFocus.com's Neil Hornsby, the roster is not exactly littered with top-notch talent.
In a piece meant to judge every team's starting units, the Cardinals are noted to have just nine players who are above average.
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, not surprisingly, is regarded as a "difference maker," as is defensive end Calais Campbell.
Linebacker Daryl Washington and cornerback Patrick Peterson are said to be "high quality," while quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Rashard Mendenhall, tackle Bobby Massie, linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive tackle Dan Williams are considered "good."
- I've given both Palmer and Mendenhall the benefit of the doubt respectively due to the former working in a more conducive environment, and the latter being healthy.
- I'm viewing Bobby Massie more on the second half of his season than the first, but did consider both.
- Before Dockett gets an upgrade he needs to show something and not just talk about how badly Ray Horton's scheme affected him — it hardly slowed Campbell did it?
Outside of them, the bulk of Arizona's starters is considered to be either "average," "below average" or "poor," though only receiver Andre Roberts grades out in the latter group.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dave Pasch, Voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Monday July 28The voice of the Cardinals Dave Pasch shares his first impressions of training camp.
- Steve Keim, Arizona Cardinals GM - Monday July 28Cardinals GM Steve Keim talks about player evaluation during training camp.
- Kent Somers- AZCentral Sports - Friday July 25AZCentral Sports Cardinals beat writer Kent Somers discusses some of the challenges facing the Cardi
- Kevin Minter-Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 25Arizona Cardinals linebacker Kevin Minter discusses his new role this upcoming season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.