Updated Jul 1, 2013 - 12:13 pm
Arizona Cardinals' starting lineup is graded
While it's too early to know for sure, the offense and defense figure to have at least nine new starters compared to the group that finished last season, and the hope is each will present a significant upgrade.
But according to ProFootballFocus.com's Neil Hornsby, the roster is not exactly littered with top-notch talent.
In a piece meant to judge every team's starting units, the Cardinals are noted to have just nine players who are above average.
Wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald, not surprisingly, is regarded as a "difference maker," as is defensive end Calais Campbell.
Linebacker Daryl Washington and cornerback Patrick Peterson are said to be "high quality," while quarterback Carson Palmer, running back Rashard Mendenhall, tackle Bobby Massie, linebacker Karlos Dansby and defensive tackle Dan Williams are considered "good."
- I've given both Palmer and Mendenhall the benefit of the doubt respectively due to the former working in a more conducive environment, and the latter being healthy.
- I'm viewing Bobby Massie more on the second half of his season than the first, but did consider both.
- Before Dockett gets an upgrade he needs to show something and not just talk about how badly Ray Horton's scheme affected him — it hardly slowed Campbell did it?
Outside of them, the bulk of Arizona's starters is considered to be either "average," "below average" or "poor," though only receiver Andre Roberts grades out in the latter group.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington 'physically ready for that pounding' he expects this season
- Reunited with Bruce Arians, Arizona Cardinals tackle Max Starks looking forward to new challenges
- All-Access with Arians: Jobs still up for grabs, cuts will be difficult
- What I Saw -- Thursday, Aug. 21
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.