Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 8:56 am
Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald to have his jersey retired at Pitt
So much so, that the school announced Monday that they plan to retire Fitzgerald's No. 1 jersey.
Fitzgerald, who caught 161 passes for 2,677 yards and 34 touchdowns during his two seasons at Pitt, will become the ninth player to have his number retired by the Panthers.
During his time at Pitt, Fitzgerald set the NCAA record for most consecutive games (18) with a touchdown catch, while also winning the Walter Camp (Best College Player) and Biletnikoff Awards (Best College Receiver) in 2003.
"Larry Fitzgerald is the greatest receiver in Pitt history and is well on his way to future Hall of Fame enshrinement in Canton," Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson said in a statement. "In addition to his exceptional football talents, Larry has always been one of the University of Pittsburgh's finest representatives. As thrilling as he has been as a player, Larry has been even more inspiring off the field for his incredible commitment to philanthropic causes.
"We are proud to appropriately honor Larry by adding his Pitt jersey to a legendary list that includes Ditka, Dorsett, Fralic, Goldberg, Green, Marino, May and Schmidt."
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 1, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals LB John Abraham releases statement on June DUI arrest
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely on proposal to push PATs back: 'There's going to be a lot more injuries'
- Cardinals rookie receiver John Brown doing more than relying on physical talents in training camp
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Brown sits out, Starks adds depth, Abraham will be in camp 'soon'
- Kareem Martin, Arizona Cardinals defensive end - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ defensive end Kareem Martin speaks on his first NFL training camp experience.
- Tony Jefferson, Arizona Cardinals safety - Friday August 1Arizona Cardinals’ safety Tony Jefferson discusses training camp improvements.
- Bob McManaman, azcentral sports writer - Friday August 1azcentral sports writer Bob McManaman joins the show at Cardinals training camp.
- John Brown, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 1Cardinals rookie wide receiver John Brown says he is different from other rookies.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 1Are the fortunes of the Arizona Cardinals changing?