Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 8:56 am
Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald to have his jersey retired at Pitt
So much so, that the school announced Monday that they plan to retire Fitzgerald's No. 1 jersey.
Fitzgerald, who caught 161 passes for 2,677 yards and 34 touchdowns during his two seasons at Pitt, will become the ninth player to have his number retired by the Panthers.
During his time at Pitt, Fitzgerald set the NCAA record for most consecutive games (18) with a touchdown catch, while also winning the Walter Camp (Best College Player) and Biletnikoff Awards (Best College Receiver) in 2003.
"Larry Fitzgerald is the greatest receiver in Pitt history and is well on his way to future Hall of Fame enshrinement in Canton," Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson said in a statement. "In addition to his exceptional football talents, Larry has always been one of the University of Pittsburgh's finest representatives. As thrilling as he has been as a player, Larry has been even more inspiring off the field for his incredible commitment to philanthropic causes.
"We are proud to appropriately honor Larry by adding his Pitt jersey to a legendary list that includes Ditka, Dorsett, Fralic, Goldberg, Green, Marino, May and Schmidt."
- Arizona Cardinals teammates react to Patrick Peterson's contract extension
- Patrick Peterson's new contract compared to other top NFL cornerbacks
- Notes from the Nest: July 29, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals, Patrick Peterson agree on extension
- Arizona Cardinals' Deone Bucannon supplies the highlight of Tuesday's practice
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.
- Pete Prisco, Senior NFL Columnist - Tuesday July 29Senior NFL columnist for CBS Pete Prisco shares his thoughts on how the Cardinals stack against othe
- Stepfan Taylor, Cardinals running back - Tuesday July 29Cardinals running back Stepfan Taylor talks training camp and his expanded role on offense.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Monday July 28Lorenzo Alexander gives his take on replacing Daryl Washington and praises former teammate London Fl
- Darren Urban, Arizona Cardinals reporter - Monday July 28Cardinals reporter Darren Urban discusses team improvements and which player he thinks will have a b