Updated Jul 2, 2013 - 8:56 am
Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald to have his jersey retired at Pitt
So much so, that the school announced Monday that they plan to retire Fitzgerald's No. 1 jersey.
Fitzgerald, who caught 161 passes for 2,677 yards and 34 touchdowns during his two seasons at Pitt, will become the ninth player to have his number retired by the Panthers.
During his time at Pitt, Fitzgerald set the NCAA record for most consecutive games (18) with a touchdown catch, while also winning the Walter Camp (Best College Player) and Biletnikoff Awards (Best College Receiver) in 2003.
"Larry Fitzgerald is the greatest receiver in Pitt history and is well on his way to future Hall of Fame enshrinement in Canton," Pitt athletic director Steve Pederson said in a statement. "In addition to his exceptional football talents, Larry has always been one of the University of Pittsburgh's finest representatives. As thrilling as he has been as a player, Larry has been even more inspiring off the field for his incredible commitment to philanthropic causes.
"We are proud to appropriately honor Larry by adding his Pitt jersey to a legendary list that includes Ditka, Dorsett, Fralic, Goldberg, Green, Marino, May and Schmidt."
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.