Cardinals' Patrick Peterson ranks as top-10 most versatile player
Just watch him return a punt if you need visual proof.
Anyway, Peterson's talents have sent him to the Pro Bowl each of his first two seasons, in 2011 as a punt returner and in 2012 as a cornerback.
But that's not all he can do, and as ESPN's Gary Horton notes in an ESPN Insider piece, Peterson is one of the NFC's 10 most versatile players.
The 23-year-old ranked fifth.
There is nothing that he can't do on the football field, and he's one of the elite athletes in the NFL. Peterson is a shutdown corner who now lines up to cover the opponent's best receiver, but his versatility doesn't end there.
He remains a dangerous punt returner, but has also lined up at wide receiver and actually had three receptions in 2012. His most unique skill that the coaches may use is his ability to line up at quarterback and run a Wildcat-type scheme and either run it or throw it.
There have been times over his first two seasons where Peterson lined up on offense, as he's tallied three carries for 13 yards and four receptions for 10 yards. New coach Bruce Arians is known as a creative play-caller, so it stands to reason Peterson will get a few more opportunities in 2013.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.