Cardinals' Patrick Peterson ranks as top-10 most versatile player
Just watch him return a punt if you need visual proof.
Anyway, Peterson's talents have sent him to the Pro Bowl each of his first two seasons, in 2011 as a punt returner and in 2012 as a cornerback.
But that's not all he can do, and as ESPN's Gary Horton notes in an ESPN Insider piece, Peterson is one of the NFC's 10 most versatile players.
The 23-year-old ranked fifth.
There is nothing that he can't do on the football field, and he's one of the elite athletes in the NFL. Peterson is a shutdown corner who now lines up to cover the opponent's best receiver, but his versatility doesn't end there.
He remains a dangerous punt returner, but has also lined up at wide receiver and actually had three receptions in 2012. His most unique skill that the coaches may use is his ability to line up at quarterback and run a Wildcat-type scheme and either run it or throw it.
There have been times over his first two seasons where Peterson lined up on offense, as he's tallied three carries for 13 yards and four receptions for 10 yards. New coach Bruce Arians is known as a creative play-caller, so it stands to reason Peterson will get a few more opportunities in 2013.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?