Cardinals' Patrick Peterson ranks as top-10 most versatile player
Just watch him return a punt if you need visual proof.
Anyway, Peterson's talents have sent him to the Pro Bowl each of his first two seasons, in 2011 as a punt returner and in 2012 as a cornerback.
But that's not all he can do, and as ESPN's Gary Horton notes in an ESPN Insider piece, Peterson is one of the NFC's 10 most versatile players.
The 23-year-old ranked fifth.
There is nothing that he can't do on the football field, and he's one of the elite athletes in the NFL. Peterson is a shutdown corner who now lines up to cover the opponent's best receiver, but his versatility doesn't end there.
He remains a dangerous punt returner, but has also lined up at wide receiver and actually had three receptions in 2012. His most unique skill that the coaches may use is his ability to line up at quarterback and run a Wildcat-type scheme and either run it or throw it.
There have been times over his first two seasons where Peterson lined up on offense, as he's tallied three carries for 13 yards and four receptions for 10 yards. New coach Bruce Arians is known as a creative play-caller, so it stands to reason Peterson will get a few more opportunities in 2013.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.