Arizona Cardinals WR Fitzgerald: Fortunate to have Carson Palmer
But after what he's been through the last few years, can you blame the guy?
Fitzgerald, who has been mired in an offense that lacked consistency at quarterback as well as the ability to get him the ball, is excited to be working with a head coach of Bruce Arians' caliber.
"What he was able to do last year in Indianapolis with Coach (Chuck) Pagano getting sick and him leading that team to a playoff appearance with seven rookies on that offense, that says a lot about him about his pedigree and what he's able to do," Fitzgerald told SiriusXM's Booger McFarland and Ross Tucker.
But Arians' impact can only go so far, and it might be the team's other big addition that will pay the biggest dividends for Fitzgerald and the team as a whole.
"Now bringing Carson (Palmer) into the mix," Fitzgerald mused. "A proven veteran. It's been great to have him, he's been a wonderful leader and tremendous guy in the locker room.
"I'm fortunate to have him and I know all the rest of us are as well."
Fitzgerald likely feels that way because he's finally able to get off of the QB carousel the team had been riding since Kurt Warner retired in January 2010. Derek Anderson, Max Hall, John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer all started at least one regular season game for the team, and none were able to have much success.
So adding Palmer, who passed for 4,018 yards and 22 touchdowns with the Oakland Raiders last year, is a breath of fresh air and real boost to the receiver's future.
"It does come across my mind over the last couple years since Kurt retired," Fitz said of how his career has been negatively impacted by the QBs the team has trotted out onto the field. "But that's out of my hands.
"I'm going to go out there and do the best I can and play as hard as I possibly can."
But don't get him wrong, he's excited about the possibility of receiving passes from a proven signal caller.
"I like where I'm at right now," he said. "I'm 29 years old, I have plenty left in the tank. I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in now, and now it's up to me to go out there and make some plays when I get my opportunities."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: Two-thirds of voters say Arizona Cardinals should go with a new kicker
- Arizona Cardinals safety Deone Bucannon: clean hits 'something I have to learn'
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 21, 2014
- Michael Floyd knocking off the rust as he returns to field for Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Cardinals beat writer - Thursday August 21Kent Somers talks about how many touches Andre Ellington should get per game.
- Bruce Arians, Cardinals head coach - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians discusses the importance of Sunday's third preseason game.
- Darren Urban, AZcardinals.com beat writer - Thursday August 21Darren Urban discusses what the Cardinals will do without Darnell Dockett
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.