Arizona Cardinals WR Fitzgerald: Fortunate to have Carson Palmer
But after what he's been through the last few years, can you blame the guy?
Fitzgerald, who has been mired in an offense that lacked consistency at quarterback as well as the ability to get him the ball, is excited to be working with a head coach of Bruce Arians' caliber.
"What he was able to do last year in Indianapolis with Coach (Chuck) Pagano getting sick and him leading that team to a playoff appearance with seven rookies on that offense, that says a lot about him about his pedigree and what he's able to do," Fitzgerald told SiriusXM's Booger McFarland and Ross Tucker.
But Arians' impact can only go so far, and it might be the team's other big addition that will pay the biggest dividends for Fitzgerald and the team as a whole.
"Now bringing Carson (Palmer) into the mix," Fitzgerald mused. "A proven veteran. It's been great to have him, he's been a wonderful leader and tremendous guy in the locker room.
"I'm fortunate to have him and I know all the rest of us are as well."
Fitzgerald likely feels that way because he's finally able to get off of the QB carousel the team had been riding since Kurt Warner retired in January 2010. Derek Anderson, Max Hall, John Skelton, Kevin Kolb, Ryan Lindley and Brian Hoyer all started at least one regular season game for the team, and none were able to have much success.
So adding Palmer, who passed for 4,018 yards and 22 touchdowns with the Oakland Raiders last year, is a breath of fresh air and real boost to the receiver's future.
"It does come across my mind over the last couple years since Kurt retired," Fitz said of how his career has been negatively impacted by the QBs the team has trotted out onto the field. "But that's out of my hands.
"I'm going to go out there and do the best I can and play as hard as I possibly can."
But don't get him wrong, he's excited about the possibility of receiving passes from a proven signal caller.
"I like where I'm at right now," he said. "I'm 29 years old, I have plenty left in the tank. I'm fortunate to be in the position I'm in now, and now it's up to me to go out there and make some plays when I get my opportunities."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals vs. Chargers preview: Final chance to make an impression
- Arizona Cardinals sign DT Tommy Kelly
- Report: Arizona Cardinals bring James Harrison in for a visit
- Arizona Cardinals RB Zach Bauman excited for 'opportunity to show what I can do' Thursday vs. Chargers
- Confident Chandler Catanzaro looks to prove himself as Arizona Cardinals kicker
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL Insider - Tuesday August 26Mike Sando takes us inside the NFL headlines.
- Who impressed/Who depressed - Monday August 25Vince praises Arizona's newest football dynasty.
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Monday August 25Bruce Arians says Jay Feely was let go early on so he can catch on with another team.