Arizona Cardinals rookie Tyrann Mathieu listed as 'can't wait to see' player
Talented but troubled, the former Heisman Trophy candidate comes to the Cardinals with expectations and baggage, which makes him one of the more intriguing players heading into the season.
He's so intriguing, in fact, that ESPN analyst and former NFL coach Herm Edwards listed Mathieu, in an ESPN Insider piece, as one of five rookies he's most excited to see take the field.
It will be very interesting to see how Bruce Arians decides to use this youngster. I love his playmaking ability and he has terrific hands and eyes -- two crucial aspects to playing the cornerback position. From what I've heard it sounds like they may try him at safety to let him roam a little more and maximize his ability as a playmaker, but I worry about his ability to hold up -- and to make tackles consistently. At 5-foot-9, 186 pounds, he isn't even built like a Bob Sanders, and if they try to get him to put weight on, it could slow him down. If the Cardinals do play him at safety, they'll probably either keep him high or bring him down into the box to blitz. I see him more as a guy who should play 25-plus plays a game at the nickel spot and help on special teams this season. I think he has a chance to be a good player in this league.
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals need to run the football to win in the NFC West
- Carson Palmer: Arizona Cardinals are 'completely different team' from last year
- Arizona Cardinals sign wide receiver/kick returner Reggie Dunn
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- Bickley Blast - Friday July 25The Cardinals kick off training camp with high expectations.
- Impromptu Power Poll - Friday July 25What are the top 5 position battles for the AZ Cardinals heading into training camp?
- Carson Palmer, AZ Cardinals QB - Friday July 25Cardinals QB Carson Palmer describes the key to this offense winning games.
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday July 25ESPN NFL Insider John Clayton talks about Marshawn Lynch’s impending holdout.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday July 24What will the future hold for the Cardinals and Larry Fitzgerald?