Arizona Cardinals rookie Tyrann Mathieu listed as 'can't wait to see' player
Talented but troubled, the former Heisman Trophy candidate comes to the Cardinals with expectations and baggage, which makes him one of the more intriguing players heading into the season.
He's so intriguing, in fact, that ESPN analyst and former NFL coach Herm Edwards listed Mathieu, in an ESPN Insider piece, as one of five rookies he's most excited to see take the field.
It will be very interesting to see how Bruce Arians decides to use this youngster. I love his playmaking ability and he has terrific hands and eyes -- two crucial aspects to playing the cornerback position. From what I've heard it sounds like they may try him at safety to let him roam a little more and maximize his ability as a playmaker, but I worry about his ability to hold up -- and to make tackles consistently. At 5-foot-9, 186 pounds, he isn't even built like a Bob Sanders, and if they try to get him to put weight on, it could slow him down. If the Cardinals do play him at safety, they'll probably either keep him high or bring him down into the box to blitz. I see him more as a guy who should play 25-plus plays a game at the nickel spot and help on special teams this season. I think he has a chance to be a good player in this league.
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- The Floyd Factor
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.