Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 7:26 pm
ESPN analyst Herm Edwards previews NFC West on the Doug and Wolf show
Last season, the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks both made the playoffs, and the 49ers were just a few yards away from winning the Super Bowl.
The St. Louis Rams actually won the most games against division opponents (4-1-1), despite missing the playoffs in 2012.
Coming off a 5-11 season, the Arizona Cardinals will have their work cut out for them in the West this year.
ESPN analyst and former NFL head coach Herm Edwards joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday to preview the NFC West.
"There is some excitement with the NFC West," Edwards said. "It was just two or three years ago that 7-9 won it and you wondered if any of these guys should make the playoffs."
In 2010, the Seahawks won the NFC West with a 7-9 record. Since then, the 49ers have taken over the division, winning 13 games in 2011 and 11 games with a tie in 2012.
"When you look at these teams in the division, all these teams are similar in a sense," said Edwards. "San Francisco is a little bit ahead of them as is Seattle, but St. Louis and Arizona seem to be closing the door on them."
After a disappointing 2012 season, the Cardinals hired Bruce Arians to replace Ken Whisenhunt at new head coach and traded for Carson Palmer to be the new quarterback.
"Bruce Arians, whom I coached with in Kansas City, likes to run the ball," Edwards said. "He is going to throw the ball down the field, but he likes to pound the football.
"Arizona has a nice front defensively with (Darnell) Dockett, (Dan) Williams, (Calais) Campbell and (Lorenzo) Alexander. They now have some secondary players who can take the ball away and are unique."
Arians begins his first training camp as the coach of the Cardinals this week in Glendale.
- Rashard Mendenhall to retire, teams told
- Daryn Colledge tweets of his release from Cardinals
- Fox Sports NFL insider: 'Player's coach' Arians makes Arizona Cardinals a prime destination
- ESPN writer: John Carlson signing risky for Cardinals, but worth the reward
- Darnell Dockett tweets that Branden Albert is 'new teammate'
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!