Updated Jul 22, 2013 - 7:26 pm
ESPN analyst Herm Edwards previews NFC West on the Doug and Wolf show
Last season, the San Francisco 49ers and Seattle Seahawks both made the playoffs, and the 49ers were just a few yards away from winning the Super Bowl.
The St. Louis Rams actually won the most games against division opponents (4-1-1), despite missing the playoffs in 2012.
Coming off a 5-11 season, the Arizona Cardinals will have their work cut out for them in the West this year.
ESPN analyst and former NFL head coach Herm Edwards joined Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf on Monday to preview the NFC West.
"There is some excitement with the NFC West," Edwards said. "It was just two or three years ago that 7-9 won it and you wondered if any of these guys should make the playoffs."
In 2010, the Seahawks won the NFC West with a 7-9 record. Since then, the 49ers have taken over the division, winning 13 games in 2011 and 11 games with a tie in 2012.
"When you look at these teams in the division, all these teams are similar in a sense," said Edwards. "San Francisco is a little bit ahead of them as is Seattle, but St. Louis and Arizona seem to be closing the door on them."
After a disappointing 2012 season, the Cardinals hired Bruce Arians to replace Ken Whisenhunt at new head coach and traded for Carson Palmer to be the new quarterback.
"Bruce Arians, whom I coached with in Kansas City, likes to run the ball," Edwards said. "He is going to throw the ball down the field, but he likes to pound the football.
"Arizona has a nice front defensively with (Darnell) Dockett, (Dan) Williams, (Calais) Campbell and (Lorenzo) Alexander. They now have some secondary players who can take the ball away and are unique."
Arians begins his first training camp as the coach of the Cardinals this week in Glendale.
- Former Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner thankful for patience of fans, organization
- Notes from the Nest: July 30, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals to host Fan Fest this weekend
- All-Access with Bruce Arians: Extra points experiment will be fun, may add excitement
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.