Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer is 'on the spot'
At least, that's NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks' thinking, as he nominated the Arizona Cardinals' new QB as the team's player who is "on the spot."
Basically, he's under pressure to perform.
After struggling through a miserable three-year stretch with scattershot quarterback play, the Cardinals made a bold offseason move in trading for Palmer. While some view the acquisition as a major coup that could fuel a playoff run, the former No. 1 overall pick hasn't played at an elite level since the 2006 season. There are serious questions about what he can still accomplish at this stage of his career. (Can he be anything more than a game manager?) Regardless, the Cardinals definitely view his arrival as an upgrade. But in the ultra-competitive NFC West, that might not be enough to stimulate a playoff run.
Palmer was brought in to provide stability at a position where the team has had anything but, and the coaching staff believes he will more closely resemble the player who guided the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs than the one who struggled to win games with the Oakland Raiders.
And if he does, the Cardinals may actually make a run in what is thought to be the toughest division in the NFL.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?
- John McClain, NFL insider - Thursday April 17Who will the Texans draft?
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.