Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer is 'on the spot'
At least, that's NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks' thinking, as he nominated the Arizona Cardinals' new QB as the team's player who is "on the spot."
Basically, he's under pressure to perform.
After struggling through a miserable three-year stretch with scattershot quarterback play, the Cardinals made a bold offseason move in trading for Palmer. While some view the acquisition as a major coup that could fuel a playoff run, the former No. 1 overall pick hasn't played at an elite level since the 2006 season. There are serious questions about what he can still accomplish at this stage of his career. (Can he be anything more than a game manager?) Regardless, the Cardinals definitely view his arrival as an upgrade. But in the ultra-competitive NFC West, that might not be enough to stimulate a playoff run.
Palmer was brought in to provide stability at a position where the team has had anything but, and the coaching staff believes he will more closely resemble the player who guided the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs than the one who struggled to win games with the Oakland Raiders.
And if he does, the Cardinals may actually make a run in what is thought to be the toughest division in the NFL.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Walt Powell claimed by New York Jets
- How the West Was Won - Week 1
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals' offense will offset losses on defense, lead team to a winning record
- Cardinals awarded waiver claim on OLB Thomas Keiser, waive rookie WR Walt Powell
- Bauman, Golden, Sopoaga, Hardy among Arizona Cardinals' final roster cuts
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 29The Arizona Cardinals and San Diego Chargers played one of the most pointless games in NFL history l
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 28Which Valley football team will win more games this season, the Cardinals or the Sun Devils?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Dave Pasch - Cardinals commentator - Tuesday August 26Dave Pasch thinks Michael Floyd is a number one receiving target.