Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer is 'on the spot'
At least, that's NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks' thinking, as he nominated the Arizona Cardinals' new QB as the team's player who is "on the spot."
Basically, he's under pressure to perform.
After struggling through a miserable three-year stretch with scattershot quarterback play, the Cardinals made a bold offseason move in trading for Palmer. While some view the acquisition as a major coup that could fuel a playoff run, the former No. 1 overall pick hasn't played at an elite level since the 2006 season. There are serious questions about what he can still accomplish at this stage of his career. (Can he be anything more than a game manager?) Regardless, the Cardinals definitely view his arrival as an upgrade. But in the ultra-competitive NFC West, that might not be enough to stimulate a playoff run.
Palmer was brought in to provide stability at a position where the team has had anything but, and the coaching staff believes he will more closely resemble the player who guided the Cincinnati Bengals to the playoffs than the one who struggled to win games with the Oakland Raiders.
And if he does, the Cardinals may actually make a run in what is thought to be the toughest division in the NFL.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Fanaika, Arizona Cardinals offensive guard - Wednesday July 30The Arizona Cardinals’ offensive guard Paul Fanaika joins the show to discuss training camp.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.