Arizona Cardinals near bottom of SI Preseason Power Rankings
Coming off a disappointing 5-11 campaign and undergoing a major personnel overhaul in the offseason, one thing new head coach Bruce Arians' team won't be saddled with during camp is expectations.
Seemingly nobody is picking the Cardinals to do much of anything in 2013, especially considering the division they play in, the NFC West, features two of the preseason favorites to win the Super Bowl in the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers.
For instance, consider SI.com's NFL Preseason Power Rankings, which were released Wednesday. Writer Chris Burke puts the Cardinals 30th in the initial poll, ahead of only the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Oakland Raiders.
Carson Palmer makes this team better, as should new coach Bruce Arians. It's still the worst squad in a division with a pair of Super Bowl favorites. Where are the Cardinals going to find wins? They could be 0-8 at their bye and no one would be stunned.
Wait, 0-8? In fact that would shock some, considering the Cardinals' schedule starts off with five teams who finished under .500 in 2012 -- and two of those games are at University of Phoenix Stadium.
It's not a shock that Baltimore, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Atlanta are atop Burke's first rankings.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Daniel Jeremiah, NFL.com writer - Tuesday April 15NFL.com writer Daniel Jeremiah talks about the NFL draft.
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Tuesday April 15Which quarterback will be taken first in the NFL Draft?
- Michael Bidwill, Cardinals' president - Wednesday April 9Cardinals president Michael Bidwill discuses the getting the 2015 NFL Pro Bowl.
- Roger Kingdom, Arizona Cardinals' Speed Coach - Monday April 7Roger Kingdom talks about translating muscle gained to the field without slowing the players down.
- Itís Paulís Call with Paul Calvisi! - Friday April 4The rat pack is on the loose!