Arizona Cardinals near bottom of SI Preseason Power Rankings
Coming off a disappointing 5-11 campaign and undergoing a major personnel overhaul in the offseason, one thing new head coach Bruce Arians' team won't be saddled with during camp is expectations.
Seemingly nobody is picking the Cardinals to do much of anything in 2013, especially considering the division they play in, the NFC West, features two of the preseason favorites to win the Super Bowl in the Seattle Seahawks and San Francisco 49ers.
For instance, consider SI.com's NFL Preseason Power Rankings, which were released Wednesday. Writer Chris Burke puts the Cardinals 30th in the initial poll, ahead of only the Jacksonville Jaguars and the Oakland Raiders.
Carson Palmer makes this team better, as should new coach Bruce Arians. It's still the worst squad in a division with a pair of Super Bowl favorites. Where are the Cardinals going to find wins? They could be 0-8 at their bye and no one would be stunned.
Wait, 0-8? In fact that would shock some, considering the Cardinals' schedule starts off with five teams who finished under .500 in 2012 -- and two of those games are at University of Phoenix Stadium.
It's not a shock that Baltimore, Denver, Seattle, San Francisco and Atlanta are atop Burke's first rankings.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Free agent kicker Jay Feely announces he's re-signed with Arizona Cardinals
- NFL Draft '14: Six-round mock draft for the Arizona Cardinals
- Cardinals running back Rashard Mendenhall calls it quits in Huffington Post article
- NFL writer: Cardinals could turn attention to Jared Veldheer if Branden Albert heads to Dolphins
- PFT: All signs point to free agent tackle Albert signing with Dolphins
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.