Arizona Cardinals excited to hold first training camp in Glendale
That changed Thursday, when the new-look Cardinals opened up camp at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, the site they've called their game day home since 2006.
"We're excited," team president Michael Bidwill said. "We're going to have training camp out here for the next several weeks. It's going to be free to the fans -- free admission, free parking -- so we encourage people to come on out."
Players ran through a conditioning test Thursday and will have their first official full-team workout Friday. The camp will run through Thursday, August 22.
The Cardinals have sold out every home game since moving into the West Valley venue seven years ago, and believe that having training camp at the same site will make it easier fans to see the team in a more relaxed environment.
"That's what excites me about this venue for practice is being able to have so many people in here, and it excites the players every day," new head coach Bruce Arians said. "When you start getting tired, and all of a sudden you hear the noise, it does get the juices flowing.
"We're really anxious to see as many people as we can every day."
Center Lyle Sendlein, a veteran of six training camps in Flagstaff, is also looking forward to the change.
"I think it's going to be a good fresh start for our team," he said. "With everything in the Renaissance (Hotel) right there, it's a lot less time in the vans going from building to building. We'll be able to have a lot more time in the film room, so that's good."
The Cardinals practice Friday afternoon at University of Phoenix Stadium starting at 2:00 p.m.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Able to walk again, Arizona Cardinals' Jonathan Cooper takes another step toward return
- NFL.com writer: Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu front-runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year honor
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 4
- Tight ends torching Arizona Cardinals' defense, but it's not as bad as you think
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.
- Bickley Blast 12-2-13 - Monday December 2Bickley Blast: Cardinals officials
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 2A look at what unfolded between the Cardinals and Eagles in Philadelphia.