Arizona Cardinals excited to hold first training camp in Glendale
That changed Thursday, when the new-look Cardinals opened up camp at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, the site they've called their game day home since 2006.
"We're excited," team president Michael Bidwill said. "We're going to have training camp out here for the next several weeks. It's going to be free to the fans -- free admission, free parking -- so we encourage people to come on out."
Players ran through a conditioning test Thursday and will have their first official full-team workout Friday. The camp will run through Thursday, August 22.
The Cardinals have sold out every home game since moving into the West Valley venue seven years ago, and believe that having training camp at the same site will make it easier fans to see the team in a more relaxed environment.
"That's what excites me about this venue for practice is being able to have so many people in here, and it excites the players every day," new head coach Bruce Arians said. "When you start getting tired, and all of a sudden you hear the noise, it does get the juices flowing.
"We're really anxious to see as many people as we can every day."
Center Lyle Sendlein, a veteran of six training camps in Flagstaff, is also looking forward to the change.
"I think it's going to be a good fresh start for our team," he said. "With everything in the Renaissance (Hotel) right there, it's a lot less time in the vans going from building to building. We'll be able to have a lot more time in the film room, so that's good."
The Cardinals practice Friday afternoon at University of Phoenix Stadium starting at 2:00 p.m.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?