Updated Jul 25, 2013 - 5:15 pm
Arizona Cardinals place WR Ryan Swope on reserve-retired list
Selected by the Arizona Cardinals in the sixth round of the 2013 NFL Draft, the former Texas A&M wideout fell in the draft due to a history of concussions in college.
Unable to get back onto the field after suffering from concussion-related symptoms during the team's OTAs earlier in the summer, the team decided to place the rookie on the reserve-retired list.
"We knew Ryan has a concussion history in college and understood that it could possibly be an issue," said Cardinals General Manager Steve Keim in a press release. "But weighing all the elements -- the medical information available, the particular position in the draft -- it was a decision we were comfortable making. As it turned out, he had a setback after he got here. Over the course of the subsequent evaluations, we all decided that Ryan's long-term well-being was the number-one priority and this was the best course to take."
Swope released a statement via his representation, Rep 1 Sports, on Twitter Thursday.
"As a result of a concussion I suffered during OTAs, I was advised by doctors that there were serious risks in returning to play football at this point. It has been a lifelong dream to play in the NFL but my long-term health interests outweigh my current goals for football. Because of that, I am electing to retire from the game for now and then reassess my future after this season. In the meantime, I plan to return to Texas A&M to pursue my degree. I want to thank the Arizona Cardinals organization for the opportunity and their support. I wish the team much success this season."
Swope recorded 252 receptions for 3,117 yards and 24 touchdowns in college.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Mark Schlereth, ESPN NFL analyst - Tuesday April 22ESPN NFL analyst Mark Schlereth talks about the NFL Draft.
- Terry McDonough, Cardinals VP of player personnel - Tuesday April 22Who will the Cardinals draft with their first-round pick?
- Larry Fitzgerald, Cardinals wide receiver - Tuesday April 22How are the Cardinals getting better in the offseason?
- Derek Carr- Fresno State quarterback - Monday April 21Fresno State quarterback Derek Carr talks about the NFL Draft.
- Steve Keim, Cardinals GM - Friday April 18Will the Cardinals draft a quarterback?