John Abraham is a great signing by the Arizona Cardinals
He is the active career sacks leader for a reason, but sacks aren't all he does. Abraham, as you will soon see, is someone who makes game-changing plays. He has 44 forced fumbles in his career, and if its not a sack it's a hurry, a pressure or a knockdown. He's just a guy that everyone will enjoy playing with and a guy you want in the trenches with you -- a guy quarterbacks fear.
How much he has left at his age is yet to be determined, but based on his play last season, that tank isn't even half-empty. With the Cardinals, he will be part of a linebacking corps that consists of a lot of new players -- Karlos Dansby, Jasper Brinkley and Lorenzo Alexander -- and they drafted Kevin Minter and Alex Okafor. So that's a crowded position, but Abraham is too good to not be a contributor and earn his playing time. He had always been a down lineman as a defensive end until last season with Mike Nolan as defensive coordinator in Atlanta where he played in the 3-4. He will likely be out there on passing downs, but not dropping into coverage covering tight ends. But he is also a depth provider on the defensive front. So you may see him play both defensive end and linebacker.
The Cardinals may be thinking of him as a 40-45 snaps per game player, but if he does what he has always done, that number will go up. That the Cardinals got him on a two-year deal for around $6 million is a solid signing.
I can't wait to watch him play.
John Gambadoro, Co-host of Burns & Gambo
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.