Arrow pointing up for Arizona Cardinals' Michael Floyd
Selected by the Arizona Cardinals 13th overall in 2012, the former Notre Dame star caught just 45 passes for 562 yards and two touchdowns as a rookie.
His numbers were certainly disappointing, but Floyd did pick things up down the stretch and, well, the quarterbacks attempting to throw him the ball were not exactly of a high caliber.
Quarterback play is not something Floyd can control, but he can -- and has -- worked to improve his own game.
"I'm a lot more comfortable out there," Floyd said. "My head is on straight this year."
Floyd said his knowledge of the game and the playbook has grown, which allows the game to come easier to him now.
"Getting in and out of your breaks fast because you know those [defensive backs] are quick to react to certain movements," Floyd said of what he's worked on the most. "Just making sure I keep my pad level down and getting in and out of breaks."
And speaking of breaks, Floyd and the Cardinals may have received one with quarterback Carson Palmer.
The veteran passed for 4,018 yards and 22 touchdowns with the Raiders last season and is slated to be the Cardinals' fourth different Week 1 starter in four seasons. However, unlike Derek Anderson, Kevin Kolb and John Skelton, Palmer has a reasonable amount of success under his belt.
"The experience is great," Floyd said of his new quarterback. "And also his leadership on the field and off the field is really good for me."
The hope is the combination will be really good for the Cardinals, too.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.