Former Wildcat Antoine Cason ready to earn starting spot with Arizona Cardinals
The defensive back, who signed a one-year contract with the Cardinals in March, played his college ball at the University of Arizona -- where he starred -- before becoming a first-round pick of the San Diego Chargers' in 2008.
The 27-year-old, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday, said the decision to come back to Arizona was about the situation feeling right.
"It just seemed like a great fit for me and everyone wanted to win," he said.
Cason pointed to the coaching staff as a big reason for him deciding to sign on the dotted line.
"The vibe felt right for me and I really, really felt right coming here and being a part of it."
Cason has been a productive player in five NFL seasons, tallying 12 interceptions and four forced fumbles. He is joining a secondary that, outside of Patrick Peterson, has a lot of moving parts and quite a few unknown entities.
Where exactly he fits is up in the air, but Cason has goals.
"I'm looking to be a starter here," he said. "I come to compete, I come to play. I know my abilities. I've started in this league and had some success."
Carson is not arrogant; he knows he still has room to improve as well as stiff competition for a starting role.
Because along with Peterson and Cason, the Cardinals also have Javier Arenas, Justin Bethel, Jamell Fleming, Josh Hill, Bryan McCann, Jerraud Powers and Ronnie Yell listed as cornerbacks on the depth chart.
"What it really boils down to for me is to come out and do the things I know I'm capable of," he said. "I'm not worried about what anyone else is doing at this point in time.
"Training camp is for me to continue to get better, which I will do, continue to compete, continue to work on the things that are going to allow me to put myself in a great position to be a starter here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.