Former Wildcat Antoine Cason ready to earn starting spot with Arizona Cardinals
The defensive back, who signed a one-year contract with the Cardinals in March, played his college ball at the University of Arizona -- where he starred -- before becoming a first-round pick of the San Diego Chargers' in 2008.
The 27-year-old, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday, said the decision to come back to Arizona was about the situation feeling right.
"It just seemed like a great fit for me and everyone wanted to win," he said.
Cason pointed to the coaching staff as a big reason for him deciding to sign on the dotted line.
"The vibe felt right for me and I really, really felt right coming here and being a part of it."
Cason has been a productive player in five NFL seasons, tallying 12 interceptions and four forced fumbles. He is joining a secondary that, outside of Patrick Peterson, has a lot of moving parts and quite a few unknown entities.
Where exactly he fits is up in the air, but Cason has goals.
"I'm looking to be a starter here," he said. "I come to compete, I come to play. I know my abilities. I've started in this league and had some success."
Carson is not arrogant; he knows he still has room to improve as well as stiff competition for a starting role.
Because along with Peterson and Cason, the Cardinals also have Javier Arenas, Justin Bethel, Jamell Fleming, Josh Hill, Bryan McCann, Jerraud Powers and Ronnie Yell listed as cornerbacks on the depth chart.
"What it really boils down to for me is to come out and do the things I know I'm capable of," he said. "I'm not worried about what anyone else is doing at this point in time.
"Training camp is for me to continue to get better, which I will do, continue to compete, continue to work on the things that are going to allow me to put myself in a great position to be a starter here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Locking up Patrick Peterson was a great move by the Cardinals
- Kenny Demens making plays while looking to make Arizona Cardinals roster
- Arizona Cardinals Patrick Peterson ‘earned' right to be highest-paid CB
- CBS Sports' Pete Prisco: Arizona Cardinals raving about how fast John Brown has picked things up
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson on contract extension: 'I haven't had my reality check just yet'
- Kurt Warner, NFL Network analyst - Wednesday July 30NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner discusses Arizona Cardinals' training camp.
- Patrick Peterson, Arizona Cardinals cornerback - Wednesday July 30Arizona Cardinals' defensive cornerback Patrick Peterson discusses his new contract extension.
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Wednesday July 30Johnny Manziel struggles in practice.
- Pete Prisco- CBS NFL Analyst - Wednesday July 30Pete Prisco talks about the top cornerbacks in the NFL.
- Justin Bethel, Cardinals cornerback - Tuesday July 29Justin Bethel discusses his role on special teams and how training camp has gone so far.