Former Wildcat Antoine Cason ready to earn starting spot with Arizona Cardinals
The defensive back, who signed a one-year contract with the Cardinals in March, played his college ball at the University of Arizona -- where he starred -- before becoming a first-round pick of the San Diego Chargers' in 2008.
The 27-year-old, who was a guest of Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Monday, said the decision to come back to Arizona was about the situation feeling right.
"It just seemed like a great fit for me and everyone wanted to win," he said.
Cason pointed to the coaching staff as a big reason for him deciding to sign on the dotted line.
"The vibe felt right for me and I really, really felt right coming here and being a part of it."
Cason has been a productive player in five NFL seasons, tallying 12 interceptions and four forced fumbles. He is joining a secondary that, outside of Patrick Peterson, has a lot of moving parts and quite a few unknown entities.
Where exactly he fits is up in the air, but Cason has goals.
"I'm looking to be a starter here," he said. "I come to compete, I come to play. I know my abilities. I've started in this league and had some success."
Carson is not arrogant; he knows he still has room to improve as well as stiff competition for a starting role.
Because along with Peterson and Cason, the Cardinals also have Javier Arenas, Justin Bethel, Jamell Fleming, Josh Hill, Bryan McCann, Jerraud Powers and Ronnie Yell listed as cornerbacks on the depth chart.
"What it really boils down to for me is to come out and do the things I know I'm capable of," he said. "I'm not worried about what anyone else is doing at this point in time.
"Training camp is for me to continue to get better, which I will do, continue to compete, continue to work on the things that are going to allow me to put myself in a great position to be a starter here."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.