ESPN's Chris Carter: Larry Fitzgerald second-best WR in NFL
However, that does not mean the 29-year-old is on the downside of his career or is not the player he was just a few years ago.
Because according to ESPN's Chris Carter, Fitzgerald is still the second-best receiver in the NFL, trailing only Detroit's Calvin Johnson.
I've known Larry since he was a ball boy with the Minnesota Vikings in the 1990s, so I will always have a hard time downgrading him. Even though he says he had his worst season this past year -- when he had 71 receptions and finished with only 798 receiving yards -- I didn't see a player who was struggling to do his job. Larry was open plenty during the 2012 season. He just ran into one of those situations where he didn't have a quarterback who could get him the ball consistently. In a typical season, he would've had his customary 1,200 to 1,300 yards easily. With Carson Palmer now under center in Arizona, Larry will get back to looking more like his old self.
The last point is key, and many people believe a competent quarterback is all Fitz needs to get back to the level that saw him record more than 1,000 yards receiving in six out of seven seasons as well as at least six touchdown receptions in his first eight NFL campaigns.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?