Updated Aug 2, 2013 - 6:40 pm
Arizona Cardinals' Dan Williams injures knee, ankle in training camp
Williams sprained his medial collateral ligament and his ankle during the first live tackling session of Cardinals training camp. He underwent an MRI, which revealed no major structural damage, said Cardinals head coach Bruce Arians.
Neither injury will require surgery. His ankle injury is considered more serious than that to his knee.
"It was scary just being rolled up on. And I'm thinking it's a torn something," Williams said Friday. "I'm just happy that the MRI came clean, and I'm glad I won't miss that much time."
He said he wants to play in the first preseason game against Green Bay next week, but he's going to listen to the team's trainers and see how rehabilitation goes before deciding to play or not. The knee injury alone normally would keep a player out three to four days, but the additional injury means he may need more time before hitting the field again.
Williams is entering his fourth NFL season. The 6-foot-3 nose tackle recorded a career-best 44 combined tackles in 2012, playing in 15 games for the Cardinals.
- The 5: Top storylines heading into Arizona Cardinals training camp
- Arizona Cardinals' Patrick Peterson and Michael Floyd rank high on ESPN's list of top under-25 players
- ESPN: Arizona Cardinals loaded with under-25 talent
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.