Tyrann Mathieu is a lottery ticket
The most difficult aspect of making the transition from college to the NFL is found between the ears. The game is so much more complicated, complex and volatile; schemes are multifaceted and evolving.
And Tyrann Mathieu has learned three different positions for three personnel packages! He has played corner, nickel corner and safety in base, nickel and dime personnel packages. He knows it and is making plays.
For a former player like myself, understanding how complex the game is at this level, I could not be any more impressed.
But I'm not the only one impressed.
One scout told me that Tyrann Mathieu was, "pound-for-pound, the best player on the field." And while conversing with an offensive assistant coach he told me that he believed, "No. 32 was going to change the team."
My jaw is still hanging as I write this. These are things you don't hear from grizzled, hardcore professionals. And yet all of it won't matter unless Tyrann understands the burden he carries. It will all be for naught if he doesn't accept the responsibility of keeping himself on the straight and narrow.
Risk/reward is something every GM must take into account when bringing a player into the organization. And Mathieu was a risk; but as it stands right now, Steve Keim should buy a lottery ticket.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!