Undrafted rookie Dan Buckner looking to turn some heads in training camp
Yet, the undrafted free agent told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo his goal right now is simply to have his Arizona Cardinals coaches notice him.
And he says they are.
"Coach says I'm getting better every day," Buckner said. "That's what you've got to do as a rookie guy.
"You've just got to get better, try to get some eyes on you and try to get some reps in practice and the preseason games coming up."
Buckner joined the Cardinals after playing the last two seasons for the Arizona Wildcats in Tucson. As a senior last year, he tallied 61 receptions for 773 yards and five touchdowns.
Obviously the numbers were not enough to get Buckner drafted, but his skill set was intriguing enough to have the Cardinals take a flier.
And he chose them in large part because of the uncertainty facing the team's wideouts following the top three of Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Andre Roberts.
"I had a few places...we have three established guys here and then the rest are in the mix, so it's the best opportunity for an undrafted free agent receiver," he said.
Buckner believes he's made the most of his chances, and heading into his first preseason game Friday against the Green Bay Packers he plans on heeding the words of his head coach.
"One thing coach B.A. says is when you got those plays (in games), 'Don't get exposed, get exposure,'" he said. "So that's what I'm going to try to do."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.