Arizona Cardinals RB Ryan Williams says he'll play in second preseason game
Friday, the Arizona Cardinals open their 2013 preseason schedule by visiting Lambeau again, but Williams won't get the opportunity to exorcise those injury demons. The third-year running back from Virginia Tech has been sidelined during training camp with a sore knee, but is confident that this is all part of getting healthy enough to play again.
"Nothing's wrong with my knee, it's all healed properly," Williams said following practice Monday afternoon. "I think it's just part of the process. I've talked to a lot of people who have had this injury -- Carson (Palmer) has also had this injury, Dave (Zastudil), our punter and our safety Y.B. (Yeremiah Bell) -- they've all gone through this.
"It just sucks that I'm going through this right now and missing time, but the good sign of things is that I'm going through the healing process right now. I took a P.R.P. (platelet-rich plasma) shot and it should do what it's supposed to do so I can be back on the field soon."
Williams has a long history of ailments, dating back to his college days when he missed a good portion of his sophomore season with a hamstring injury. That was followed by the torn patellar tendon in his rookie season and a season-ending shoulder injury suffered in a Week 5 loss to the St. Louis Rams in 2012.
Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday morning that each moment Williams is on the sideline, the more it will be for him to make the 53-man roster out of camp.
"It's hurting him extremely not to be on the field competing for the job because those other guys are doing so well," Arians said.
Williams says his focus is on getting healthy, not if he'll receive a pink slip from the organization that picked him in the second round of the 2011 NFL Draft.
"I can't worry about things like that," he said. "I'm very confident in what I'm able to do when I'm feeling good. I'm not worried, because once I'm on the field my play will speak for itself."
Confidence aside, Williams won't suit up for the Cardinals in Green Bay, but guaranteed his return soon after that.
"I know for a fact that I'll be playing in the Cowboys game, for a fact," Williams said. "I like to be a man of my word and I know that I'm playing the Cowboys game."
Dallas will visit the Cardinals at University of Phoenix Stadium Saturday, August 17.
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Carson Palmer needs a left tackle for Christmas, ESPN's Jaworski says
- Cardinals offensive tackle Eric Winston: Playing meaningful games 'is what it's all about'
- Jaws: Dansby playing with a chip on his shoulder
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 12
- Stability at quarterback a huge catalyst for Arizona Cardinals' 2013 success
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 13Go inside the Film Room with Wolf to analyze the Cardinals-Titans matchup.
- Wolf's 5 Star NFL Game - Friday December 13What is the must-see NFL game of the weekend?
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 13Does Shanahan want out of DC? Will Rodgers play again this season? Can the Patriots survive without
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 12The Cardinals are in the playoff race.
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.