These practices remind me of old school football. Bill Parcells and Jimmy Johnson are guys that allowed piles to form on the field; live tackling would occur from time to time and rarely would coaches object. Practice was physical.
Bruce Arians (BA) has taken a page from the Old School manual. BA continues to set the tone for the carnage. And I saw something on Monday I haven't seen in over a decade: 1-on-1 Perimeter Blitz Pickup.
Running backs and tight ends are lined up in the backfield and OLB, slot corners and safeties fire (rush the Q) from the perimeter. It's the RB's job to keep the blitzer from getting to the Q. The problem is there is no line, no point of reference, no help for the back; by design, it's a very unfair drill to the back. The theory is if the back can do it there, he can do it anywhere.
Theory aside, it's brutal and not for the faint of heart. If you want to know what Perimeter Blitz Pickup feels like, go into your garage, take the lid off your steel trash can and put it over your head. Have your neighbor point you toward your block wall; then, with a mouth guard in, run as fast as you can into that block wall! Your neighbors will think you're crazy, which might be useful, but you'll know what it feels like to pickup a SS Fire as a RB.
This drill, and many like them, establishes a certain expectation and attitude about the kind of football that is going to be played in Arizona. And the best thing is it has nothing to do with saying and everything to do with doing. BA doesn't need to talk about being a physical team because everybody feels what it means to be a physical team. The drills and practices speak volumes to the players.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up