Cardinals backup quarterback Drew Stanton makes most of preseason opportunity
Carson Palmer, who went 4-of-6 for 77 yards and a touchdown Friday night, will be the Week 1 starter regardless of what transpires -- outside of an injury -- during the preseason.
But backup Drew Stanton's performance in the Cardinals' preseason opener against the Green Bay Packers was still impressive in its own right.
While he was going up against Mike McCarthy's second-team defense, the 29-year-old looked comfortable both in the pocket and outside it.
On his first series, Stanton led Arizona on an eight-play, 52-yard drive highlighted by a beautiful 36-yard connection with Charles Hawkins and a one-yard touchdown strike to Jalen Brown.
In all, Stanton played four offensive series and went 8-of-14 for 107 yards and a touchdown. He also rushed the ball twice for eight yards.
Stanton, who is now with his fourth NFL team, signed a three-year, $8.2 million contract with the Cardinals back in March 2013.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals begin to move on without Darnell Dockett
- Forbes: Arizona Cardinals are NFL's 25th-most valuable team
- Larry Fitzgerald taking things on a year-to-year basis, not worried about future with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Jake Plummer- Former Cardinals and Sun Devils quarterback - Wednesday August 20Jake Plummer says Johnny Manziel is just passionate about the game of football.
- Lorenzo Alexander- Cardinals linebacker - Wednesday August 20Lorenzo Alexander discusses having to step up to fill the voids left by injuries and free agents lea
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 20The NFL has a new problem on their hands, and it has to do with the Redskins.
- Larry Fitzgerald, AZ Cardinals WR - Wednesday August 20Doug & Wolf ask Fitz about the Cardinals offense and about his future in Arizona.
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.