Updated Aug 10, 2013 - 7:46 am
Cardinals' Andre Roberts: Quarterback Carson Palmer and wide receivers gaining confidence
But after being the recipient of Carson Palmer's longest pass from scrimmage -- a 38-yard touchdown strike -- in the Cardinals' 17-0 preseason victory over the Green Bay Packers Friday night, even the fourth-year wideout out of The Citadel could sense something was different with No. 3 behind center.
"He's doing a great job," Roberts said. "You can see that. We didn't have many plays in this game, but he's doing a great job for us. We can't wait to see what this season entails."
From Palmer's small sample size in the team's 17-point win, the season could entail plenty of positives potentially. The two-time Pro Bowler was efficient (4-of-6 for 77 yards), went down field multiple times and spread the ball evenly to his three top receivers (Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Roberts).
It might have only been nine snaps, but Roberts can feel the group is gaining momentum in the confidence department.
"That's the big thing me, Carson, Larry and Mike have been working on in training camp, just instilling that confidence in Carson to throw the ball down the field to us," said Roberts. "He has to understand that every time, we want him to know that we're going to go get the ball for him. Just like we know he's going to go down field and place it perfectly like he did tonight."
One preseason game down, and already as Roberts hinted at, the team's top offensive weapons are building a much-needed level of trust with their quarterback.
It never hurts when part of that equation features a seasoned veteran like Palmer.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- CBS Sports' Prisco: Re-signing Karlos Dansby not imperative for Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals re-sign NT Alameda Ta'amu
- Arizona Cardinals hire former Olympic runner Roger Kingdom as assistant trainer
- Jay Feely sounds off on proposed extra point changes
- Kicker Jay Feely wants to be back with Arizona Cardinals
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.
- Jay Feely, Cardinals kicker - Thursday March 6Would a change to the extra point actually hinder player safety?
- Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer - Tuesday March 4Dave Pasch, ESPN play-by-play announcer, discusses UA and ASU basketball.
- It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Monday March 3Get off Paul's Lawn!