Updated Aug 10, 2013 - 7:46 am
Cardinals' Andre Roberts: Quarterback Carson Palmer and wide receivers gaining confidence
But after being the recipient of Carson Palmer's longest pass from scrimmage -- a 38-yard touchdown strike -- in the Cardinals' 17-0 preseason victory over the Green Bay Packers Friday night, even the fourth-year wideout out of The Citadel could sense something was different with No. 3 behind center.
"He's doing a great job," Roberts said. "You can see that. We didn't have many plays in this game, but he's doing a great job for us. We can't wait to see what this season entails."
From Palmer's small sample size in the team's 17-point win, the season could entail plenty of positives potentially. The two-time Pro Bowler was efficient (4-of-6 for 77 yards), went down field multiple times and spread the ball evenly to his three top receivers (Larry Fitzgerald, Michael Floyd and Roberts).
It might have only been nine snaps, but Roberts can feel the group is gaining momentum in the confidence department.
"That's the big thing me, Carson, Larry and Mike have been working on in training camp, just instilling that confidence in Carson to throw the ball down the field to us," said Roberts. "He has to understand that every time, we want him to know that we're going to go get the ball for him. Just like we know he's going to go down field and place it perfectly like he did tonight."
One preseason game down, and already as Roberts hinted at, the team's top offensive weapons are building a much-needed level of trust with their quarterback.
It never hurts when part of that equation features a seasoned veteran like Palmer.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker Larry Foote says defense is good enough to overcome Darnell Dockett injury
- Notes from the Nest: Aug. 22, 2014
- Arizona Cardinals' DE Calais Campbell: Dockett injury 'sucks,' others need to step up
- A game-time decision, Jonathan Cooper going through learning experience with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington bulks up in anticipation of harder hits this season
- Peter King, SI.com senior NFL writer - Friday August 22Peter King thinks Carson Palmer could have a big year for the Cardinals.
- Michael Floyd, Cardinals wide receiver - Friday August 22Michael Floyd says he thinks he can be the best wide receiver in the NFL.
- Jared Veldheer, Cardinals tackle - Friday August 22Jared Veldheer talks about his road from a Division II college to the NFL.
- Bob McManaman- Arizona Republic senior sportswriter - Friday August 22Bob McManaman believes that Jay Feely is in danger of getting cut from the Cardinals.
- Andre Ellington- Cardinals running back - Friday August 22Andre Ellington looks forward to a break out year with the Arizona Cardinals.