Updated Aug 13, 2013 - 8:20 am
Raves continue to pour in for Arizona Cardinals rookie Tyrann Mathieu
So grateful that the @AZCardinals took this chance on me....— Tyrann Mathieu (@Mathieu_Era) August 9, 2013
The defensive back, who just a year ago was suspended and then kicked off the LSU football team for his off-field behavior, made the most of his opportunity against the Green Bay Packers.
Mathieu played 38 defensive snaps and 11 on special teams, and made an impact in both phases. The former Heisman Trophy finalist had two tackles, including a sack, broke up a pass and returned two punts for 26 yards, including a 24-yarder.
After Mathieu's debut, the experts sounded off.
Herman Edwards, who spent 10 seasons in the NFL as a defensive back and eight more as a head coach, liked what he saw from number 32 Friday and really likes what the Cardinals are building in their secondary.
"He is a difference maker," Edwards said on Monday. "They have two difference makers in the back end of their secondary now -- Patrick Peterson and Mathieu.
"These are guys that actually can catch the football. Now the danger of this, what comes when guys can catch in the back end of the secondary, they can run off to score."
That's exactly what the Cardinals are counting on from a player who wreaked havoc on the SEC as a sophomore in 2011 when he forced six fumbles, recovered four, had two interceptions and found the end zone four times.
"The guy has great instincts, something you can not coach," Edwards said. "This is what you like about this young man. He's going to make a lot of big plays, especially if they use him as a slot player -- in other words, a nickel back."
- Arizona Cardinals' OC: Rashard Mendenhall 'back to what I remember' from Pittsburgh
- Notes from the Nest: Arizona Cardinals practice - Dec. 5
- Arizona Cardinals' Jay Feely feels a responsibility to help others
- Arizona Cardinals' O-line faces familiar challenge in St. Louis Rams' Robert Quinn
- Injury Report: St. Louis Rams at Arizona Cardinals
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?
- NFL Power Poll - Week 14 - Wednesday December 4Doug & Wolf debate which teams are top 5 in the NFL
- Daryl Johnston, Fox NFL Analyst - Tuesday December 3What were his takeaways from the Cardinals loss to Philadelphia?
- Bruce Arians- Arizona Cardinals Head Coach - Monday December 2Bruce Arians discusses the poor officiating Sunday against the Eagles.