Arizona Cardinals' Arians on '13 draft picks: I like the whole class
Head coach Bruce Arians, who has two kids, is the same when it comes to the eight players in this year's draft class, his first with the Arizona Cardinals.
"I like the whole class," he said Thursday.
"Jon(athan) Cooper is playing outstanding. Kevin Minter, the silent assassin. Nobody ever talks about him, but he's doing a heck of a job. D.C. Jefferson goes up and down like a yo-yo, but when he's up there he's pretty good. If we just keep him up there. He's shown really good progress. Earl Watford has shown really good progress. Tyrann (Mathieu) obviously gets a lot of ink, but those other guys are, they're doing their jobs."
Fifth-round pick Stepfan Taylor must have felt he did the job of two running backs with as much time as he spent on the field in the preseason opener against the Packers.
He'll receive some help this week when fellow running back Andre Ellington, a sixth-round selection, makes his debut. He traveled to Green Bay but did not play because of a stiff neck.
Linebacker Alex Okafor, drafted in the fourth round, will also see his first action after an ankle injury kept him sidelined last Friday.
For Cooper, his goals for only his second NFL game are quite simple.
"My goals are to really just perform up to par and not look like a rookie out there; just really be comfortable out there, try to make as few mental mistakes as possible and really be mentally sound," he said.
Cooper, whom the Cardinals drafted with the seventh-overall pick, admitted to being anxious in his first professional game, something he believes contributed to the mistakes he made.
"I think just my technique," he said. "That was just very rookie of me, just kind of wild and flailing versus really sound and just smooth transitions through everything."
Now that game No. 1 is behind most of his rookies, Arians expects those mental errors to be reduced, if not eliminated entirely.
"That's when you hope they get the jitters out," he said. "Playing at home, you can hear the communications a little bit better. Yeah, you would like to see that cleaned up."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.