Cardinals' QB Carson Palmer not as sharp against Cowboys
Arizona Cardinals quarterback Carson Palmer was not as sharp in his second preseason outing against the Dallas Cowboys at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale Saturday afternoon.
The veteran signal caller completed 7-of-15 passes for 66 yards. Palmer did not throw for any touchdowns or interceptions in his stint of action. He finished with a quarterback rating of 59.3.
The Cardinals defeated the Cowboys 12-7, but did not play up to par offensively.
"It's not anything that we were physically beat on or beat with speed," Palmer said. "It was silly, sloppy things and I put that on my shoulders."
While Palmer connected with receiver Larry Fitzgerald on a couple of passes early, he also struggled with communication amongst some of his wideouts.
"When it's a little bit sloppy here, a little bit sloppy there, you don't convert and you don't stay on the field," Palmer said. "We'll talk about them, we'll look at them and we'll move on from them."
The 33-year-old also threw behind running back Alfonso Smith for an incomplete pass on third down in the first quarter, forcing the Cardinals to settle for a field goal.
Palmer said he'll have to go back and look at the tape of that play to see what adjustments to make going forward.
"I think I let the ball go and they collapsed on Alfonso in the corner of the end zone," Palmer explained. "But I'll look at it and make a decision and find a way to convert that into seven points."
Palmer said while he thinks the Cardinals are in a good place after two preseason games, he's not satisfied.
The Cardinals' starters are expected to play into the third quarter next week against San Diego and Palmer is looking forward to seeing more action.
"I think we're in a good spot," Palmer said. "Hopefully next week, I don't know the exact number of reps, but you get that chance to go in the locker room and make those halftime adjustments and then come out in that third quarter.
"So it's just another chance to play more, which I know all our guys on offense want the opportunity to be on the field more."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Arizona Cardinals GM Steve Keim: 'I'm never done' building the roster
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves