Updated Aug 19, 2013 - 2:09 pm
You down with OPP?
Peterson will be involved in a lot of trickery and slight of pigskin in this offense but the power of surprise will dissipate without a baseline. Peterson needs to assimilate Bruce Arians' base offense in a 4-receiver set and produce in the most mundane of situations. If he's capable of catching a 10-yard hook, running the out-route or getting on top of an NFL corner on a go-route, he will have a profound impact on what the Cards can do offensively in 2013.
Peterson can run by corners and Big Red is in dire need of a receiver that can loosen up a secondary. Larry Fitzgerald and Michael Floyd are big receivers that can win jump ball battles down the field but they're not going to run by many corners in this league. Peterson can, and this will open up the short and intermediate routes to Fitz and Floyd, making their jobs easier.
As we all know, Patrick Peterson is a stud and he will excel as a receiver in the NFL. And that's what concerns me. How will coaches be able to keep him off the field if he's making plays and changing the way defenses approach their offense?
I'll bet Todd Bowles would like an answer to that question, too.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Dave Pasch, voice of the Arizona Cardinals - Wednesday March 12Dave Pasch explains what it is like to work with Bill Walton.
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.