Arizona Cardinals' Daryn Colledge embracing added role on the offensive line
First, he celebrated the birth of his daughter Reagan Grace on July 26.
Then, he had a nerve issue in his right leg that forced him to miss a preseason return to Lambeau Field -- where he played the first five seasons of his NFL career -- on Aug. 9.
Now, just days removed from his first live action of 2013, the 31-year-old -- who has played all 112 games in his career at guard -- is set to embark on a new role.
"Daryn got his first taste [of the preseason Saturday], and he did pretty solid," head coach Bruce Arians said. "But, I'd like to get him some center work this week."
So what does the offensive lineman make of his new found 'versatility.'
Being the veteran he is, Colledge tried to downplay the description.
"Let's not go and say I'm versatile. I've never played center, so it could mean a lack of versatility if it doesn't go well," said Colledge. "I think in the NFL, especially an older guy in the NFL, the more you can do the better off you are.
"Lyle [Sendlein] was injured last year, and we were put in a situation where we had to use backup. Now, I told Lyle if he gets hurt that I'll kill him. It wouldn't really matter because I'd be the starting center at that point, but it's one of those things where it's going to take some practice. It's a new thing for me."
For Colledge, the biggest transition might not be the initial snap, but rather handling responsibilities that are unnatural to him at this point in his career.
"The center kind of starts everything for us," said Colledge. "He's the leader out there. He's the one who makes the mike calls and makes the line calls. He sets everything in motion.
"I told the guys if I moved to center that there will be no calls. I'm going to worry about the snap and get that handled. We can worry about the other stuff down the road."
While Sendlein missed five games in 2012, Colledge doesn't have to worry too much about filling in at center. Before last season, the former Chaparral standout had started every game dating back to the 2008 season.
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- With Jared Veldheer signing, Steve Keim has done it again
- Numbers say Jared Veldheer is a big pickup for the Arizona Cardinals
- Team broadcaster 'mystified' that Raiders let Jared Veldheer go to Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals benefit from the Carson Palmer effect
- It's official: Arizona Cardinals re-sign trio of players, release Daryn Colledge
- Tom Flores, Oakland Raiders radio color commentator - Tuesday March 11Tom Flores discusses Cardinals signing of left tackle Jared Veldheer.
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday March 11Is Jim Harbaugh still welcome in San Francisco?
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Monday March 10Kent Somers talks all things Cardinals free agency.
- Kent Somers, AZ Central Sports Cardinals beat writer - Thursday March 6Kent Somers discusses the Cardinals' efforts to sign Karlos Dansby.
- Pete Prisco, CBSSports.com NFL writer - Thursday March 6Pete Prisco of CBS Sports discusses the NFL offseason and the NFL draft.