Arizona Cardinals' Sam Acho looking for consistent improvement in practice
On the good side, the Cardinals have been forcing turnovers at an alarming rate -- two against Green Bay and six last week in a win over Dallas.
The Cardinals' defense has also allowed just one touchdown in two games..
Head coach Bruce Arians said Monday that turnovers are great, but a defense can't live on them. He also said that some things need to be tightened up on the defensive side of the ball -- namely limiting explosive plays by the opposing offense. Linebacker Sam Acho agrees.
"As a defense, we've got to work on doing our assignments better," Acho said following Monday's practice at University of Phoenix Stadium. "We had a lot of big plays, we had a couple busted assignments, so we've got to work on everybody doing their job."
In the preseason opener, the Cardinals allowed a 50-yard completion from Aaron Rodgers to James Jones. Against Dallas, there were three completions of 20 yards or more.
Acho said he saw improvement Monday, but consistency is the goal for coordinator Todd Bowles' defense.
"It went well, but there's still a lot we need to clean up and we've got to start putting together good days so we can consistently be a good team."
Acho and the Cardinals' defense will get another opportunity to improve Saturday night when the San Diego Chargers pay them a visit in Glendale for their third preseason game.
Former Cardinals head coach Ken Whisenhunt is the new offensive coordinator in San Diego, and the Chargers have struggled in their first two preseason tilts. In losses to Seattle and Chicago, the Chargers have averaged 310.5 yards per contest, but have turned the ball over six times and allowed eight quarterback sacks.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Cardinals Sunday Night Football game against Bengals sold out
- All-Access with Arians: Running game is fine, defense is better than last year
- John Abraham feels good after first practice, confident he'll be ready soon
- Arizona Cardinals release DT Anthony McCloud
- Forbes: Larry Fitzgerald among most overpaid players in NFL
- Ted Larsen, Cardinals offensive linemen - Thursday August 21Ted Larsen talks about making the move from center to left guard.
- Deone Bucannon- Cardinals safety - Thursday August 21Deone Bucannon talks about finding his role on the Cardinals' defense.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday August 21Bruce Arians loves the look of his defense at this point in training camp.
- Calais Campbell, AZ Cardinals DE - Thursday August 21Calais talks about the state of the Cardinals defense.
- Lyle Sendlein, Cardinals center - Wednesday August 20Lyle Sendlein talks about coming back from his injury and the loss of Darnell Dockett.