Arizona Cardinals' Campbell: Bruce Arians 'is the man for the job'
Entering his sixth NFL season -- all with the Cardinals -- the former Miami Hurricane has both reached the Super Bowl as well as finished in last place in the NFC West.
Last season's 5-11 record was tied for the worst mark in Campbell's young career, and by the time it came to a close the lineman had an idea change would be coming to the organization.
"Any time you go through three seasons of losing records -- or pretty much, not-winning records -- in this business, it's going to happen," he said of the coaching change that saw the team replace Ken Whisenhunt with Bruce Arians.
Campbell added that he wasn't one who felt a change was needed, but that he trusts the front office to make decisions that will be best for the team.
"I like Bruce Arians, I think he's a great coach," he said, adding that he felt the same way about Whisenhunt. "But B.A. has a good thing going."
Arians has yet to coach the Cardinals in a game that counts, but so far they are 2-0 in the preseason and appear -- on the surface -- to be better than they were last season.
"I think B.A. is the man for the job," Campbell said. "I think he's got us all motivated, has us excited, really believing we can win."
He's also, according to Campbell, got the players working a little harder than perhaps they otherwise would have had no change been made.
"Change does bring the best out of everybody because when you have to start brand new and prove yourself to a new coaching staff, you play your hardest a lot earlier," he said. "Otherwise they're going to bring their guys in that they know can do the job."
Whether or not Arians will experience more success in Arizona than Whisenhunt remains to be seen, but as of now there is renewed optimism in the desert.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- NFL.com writers: Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald 'primed to regress in 2014'
- Arizona Cardinals' Lorenzo Alexander: Seattle Seahawks play championship game every week
- Arizona Cardinals' Larry Fitzgerald beats Seattle Seahawks' Earl Thomas, gets slimed anyway
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.