Updated Aug 20, 2013 - 10:56 pm
Arizona Cardinals' secondary showing good hands in preseason
The Cardinals, who allowed a conference-low 3,441 yards in 2012-13 while intercepting 22 passes, have picked off four passes through their first two preseason games. The team's head coach and the secondary's best player believe that's no coincidence, despite the change in personnel over the offseason.
Good hands, head coach Bruce Arians, are a defining characteristic of the unit.
"Some guys are defensive backs because they couldn't play wide receiver," Arians said Tuesday. "That's why they got put at DB in college, because they couldn't catch.
"We don't have that problem. We've got guys who could all play wide receiver."
One such defensive back Arians was referring to, Patrick Peterson, will be a wide receiver this season. And the third-year pro agrees -- he's not the only one who can catch.
"The defensive backs here now take pride in catching the ball," said Peterson following Tuesday's practice.
"We don't want to be known as the typical defensive backs that can't catch balls or can't secure the catch, always tipping down balls and things like that."
The 15 cornerbacks and safeties on the Cardinals preseason roster have a combined 38 interceptions over 36 NFL seasons. And undrafted rookie Tony Jefferson had a pair of picks in Saturday's preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys.
"Every tipped ball should be ours," Arians said.
- Arizona Cardinals kicker Jay Feely 'grateful' for chance to keep kicking
- Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Michael Floyd to make preseason debut Sunday vs. Bengals
- Report: Arizona Cardinals to work out Isaac Sopoaga
- Arizona Cardinals RB Andre Ellington excited to see more action in next preseason game
- Arizona Cardinals safety Tyrann Mathieu, nose tackle Alameda Ta'amu activated from PUP list
- Kent Somers- azcentral sports Cardinals beat writer - Tuesday August 19Kent Somers discusses how the Cardinals plan to fill the hole left by the Darnell Dockett injury.
- Larry Fitzgerald- Cardinals receiver - Tuesday August 19Larry Fitzgerald explains the value of Darnell Dockett to the Arizona Cardinals franchise.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday August 19The weather in Phoenix matches the mood as Darnell Dockett is done for the season.
- Dave Pasch, NFL and college football analyst - Tuesday August 19Dave Pasch discusses the Cardinals losing Darnell Dockett for the season.
- Frank Caliendo, comedian & impressionist - Tuesday August 19Frank Caliendo makes us laugh and we count how many famous names he drops in his stories!