Updated Aug 20, 2013 - 10:56 pm
Arizona Cardinals' secondary showing good hands in preseason
The Cardinals, who allowed a conference-low 3,441 yards in 2012-13 while intercepting 22 passes, have picked off four passes through their first two preseason games. The team's head coach and the secondary's best player believe that's no coincidence, despite the change in personnel over the offseason.
Good hands, head coach Bruce Arians, are a defining characteristic of the unit.
"Some guys are defensive backs because they couldn't play wide receiver," Arians said Tuesday. "That's why they got put at DB in college, because they couldn't catch.
"We don't have that problem. We've got guys who could all play wide receiver."
One such defensive back Arians was referring to, Patrick Peterson, will be a wide receiver this season. And the third-year pro agrees -- he's not the only one who can catch.
"The defensive backs here now take pride in catching the ball," said Peterson following Tuesday's practice.
"We don't want to be known as the typical defensive backs that can't catch balls or can't secure the catch, always tipping down balls and things like that."
The 15 cornerbacks and safeties on the Cardinals preseason roster have a combined 38 interceptions over 36 NFL seasons. And undrafted rookie Tony Jefferson had a pair of picks in Saturday's preseason game against the Dallas Cowboys.
"Every tipped ball should be ours," Arians said.
- Arizona Cardinals place Tyrann Mathieu and Alameda Ta'amu on PUP list
- Cardinals receive 'B' offseason grade from USA Today
- NFL.com's Rosenthal: Calais Campbell among NFL's most underrated players
- Arizona Cardinals' Andre Ellington tops ESPN list of breakout candidates
- Ron Jaworski: Arizona Cardinals' Carson Palmer 20th-best QB in NFL
- Dr. Cynthia Arnson - Immigration and Central America Expert - Tuesday July 22Why are we seeing this influx of immigrant minors?
- Mike Sando, ESPN NFL insider - Tuesday July 22ESPN NFL insider Mike Sando gives updates from around the NFC West as teams head into training camp.
- Lorenzo Alexander, AZ Cardinals linebacker - Friday July 18Cardinals linebacker Lorenzo Alexander talks about team expectations for 2014.
- John McClain, Houston Chronicle sportswriter - Friday July 11Houston Chronicle sportswriter John McClain talks about the Rockets’ offseason.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Friday June 20Keim discusses his players progress so far and his anticipation of future signings.