Updated Aug 21, 2013 - 2:06 pm
Arizona Cardinals sign kicker Dan Carpenter
The Cardinals have brought in veteran Dan Carpenter on a one-year deal to compete with Jay Feely for the team's placekicking job.
Carpenter, who spent five years in Miami, was released by the team last week. Rookie Caleb Sturgis is expected to take over the kicking duties for the Dolphins.
"Healthy competition only makes us better," head coach Bruce Arians said. "We've been consistent that whenever there's the potential to make our football team better we're going to explore that opportunity."
Last season, Carpenter connected on all 26 of his extra points and 22-of-27 field goal attempts, including two from 50 yards or more.
Feely has been with the Cardinals since 2010 and has been reliable. In 2012, the 37-year-old hit 25-of-28 field goal attempts.
But in last Saturday's preseason win over the Dallas Cowboys, Feely missed a 30-yard attempt which head coach Bruce Arians called "unacceptable."
It is interesting to note that when Carpenter was a rookie in 2008, he beat out Feely for the Dolphins' kicking job. Feely hooked on with the New York Jets and spent two seasons with them before signing with the Cardinals in 2010.
As a result of signing Carpenter, the team released wide receivers Robby Toma and Robert Gill.
- Arizona Cardinals look to continue success against AFC South teams
- Arizona Cardinals sign Orhian Johnson to practice squad
- Arizona Cardinals' John Abraham named NFC Defensive Player of the Week
- Warner: Palmer's 'confidence in his playmakers' leading to turnaround
- Cardinals place Mathieu on season-ending IR
- Steve Tasker, NFL Analyst - Wednesday December 11Tasker discusses Carson Palmer, Tyrann Mathieu and what's going on with the Redskins.
- John Abraham, AZ Cardinals - Monday December 9Abraham discusses his outstanding game, his record career and how long he plans to play.
- Steve Keim, AZ Cardinals GM - Monday December 9The Cardinals get a huge division win, but lose a huge piece to their defense.
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up