Larry, the red zone and Floyd
But the preseason is nothing like regular season football, where coaches scheme and game plan for their opponent. Defenses, and how a team plays on the defensive side of the ball, changes when offenses get into their red zone. Offenses use different protection schemes, call different plays and utilize personnel groups that only appear in the red zone.
And this is why I think forcing Larry Fitzgerald to learn three wide receiver positions is going to pay off in spades. The Japanese Fighting Fish, deadly and single-minded of purpose, is going to be much more dangerous in the red zone.
Defensive coordinators will not know where Fitz is going to line up. This makes it much more difficult to double Larry, especially when using multiple combinations of coverage to double him. It simplifies the defense for the Q or, if they choose to try and double Larry, it helps the quarterback determine which receivers are singled up.
All of this adds up to more production for Larry and/or more opportunities for other receivers based on what defenses choose to do. Double Larry and let Carson Palmer find a receiver that has a matchup advantage, or single Larry and let him win a 1-on-1 battle.
The defense has got to pick its poison. My guess is that they'll tip their hand and double Larry and take their chances with Michael Floyd, Andre Roberts and Rob Housler. And that's the reason why I think Michael Floyd is on the precipice of having a huge year.
No player is more improved -- year-to-year -- than Michael Floyd. He has had a great training camp. He's more confident, more physical, more assertive than I've ever seen him and he's catching the ball away from his body, using his hands, much better.
Moving Larry around, using formations and surprise to confound the defense is going to impact the Cardinals more in the red zone than anywhere else on the field. And Michael Floyd will be the beneficiary.
Ron Wolfley, Co-host of Doug & Wolf
- Arizona Cardinals linebacker John Abraham's three-sack day puts him in historic company
- Larry Fitzgerald's big day leads Arizona Cardinals to win over St. Louis Rams
- Karlos Dansby continues happy homecoming with Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals' quarterback Carson Palmer shines in win over St. Louis Rams
- Arizona Cardinals fear Tyrann Mathieu suffered ACL injury in win over Rams
- Wolf's NFL 5 Star Games - Week 14 - Friday December 6The must-see NFL games of the weekend.
- Wolf's Film Room - Friday December 6Ron Wolfley grinds film all week and shares his findings in the Cardinals-Rams match-up
- John Clayton, ESPN NFL Insider - Friday December 6The Professor provides insight into this week's NFL headlines
- Ron Jaworski, ESPN NFL Analyst - Thursday December 5A recap of the Cardinals game in Philly and what to expect against the Rams.
- Craig Wolfley, Steelers Sideline Analyst - Thursday December 5Will Ben Roethlisberger leave the Steelers?