Bills QB Kevin Kolb has concussion-like symptoms
LANDOVER, Md. (AP) - Buffalo quarterback Kevin Kolb was treated for concussion-like symptoms after getting kneed in the back of the helmet in the Bills' preseason game Saturday against the Washington Redskins.
Kolb was hurt at the end of an 8-yard scramble in the first quarter. He remained in the game for four more plays, until the drive ended with a 2-yard touchdown run by C.J. Spiller.
Washington won 30-7.
Kolb has been competing for the starting job with first-round pick EJ Manuel, but Manuel hurt his left knee in the Bills' previous game and is out for the rest of the preseason. Kolb was 2 for 4 for 16 yards and had two runs for 12 yards Saturday when he left the game.
With both Manuel and Kolb hurt, undrafted rookie Jeff Tuel became the only healthy quarterback on the roster. Tuel entered the game on the next series.
Kolb has suffered at least two concussions over six NFL seasons. Selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round of the 2007 draft, he lost the starting job to Michael Vick when he was sidelined by a concussion in the season opener in 2010.
Kolb spent the past two seasons in Arizona, where he failed to secure the starting job because of an assortment of injuries, including a concussion in 2011. He switched to a new helmet the following year, one meant to gives addition protection to the back of his head.
The Bills also had two defensive backs leave with injuries in the first half. Da'Norris Searcy, who started at safety in place of Jairus Byrd, suffered a head injury. Starting cornerback Stephon Gillmore had a wrist injury.
Byrd was on the sideline but did not suit up. The two-time Pro Bowl safety joined the team this week after signing a one-year, $6.9 million franchise player tender, having missed all of the offseason practices and training camp.
AP NFL website: www.pro32.ap.org
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona Cardinals Bruce Arians not surprised James Harrison retired
- Christian Tupou, Kevin Cone, Dominique Williams added to Arizona Cardinals' practice squad
- New Arizona Cardinals LB Thomas Keiser: I wanted to go pass rush for somebody
- Former Arizona Cardinals quarterback Max Hall arrested on shoplifting, drug charges
- Arizona Cardinals' GM Steve Keim: Jonathan Cooper will be great for the team
- Bruce Arians- Cardinals head coach - Tuesday September 2Bruce Arians thinks the NFC West has gotten stronger in 2014.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday September 2Will the NFL suspend 49ers' defensive end Ray McDonald?
- Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi! - Tuesday September 2It's Paul's Call with Paul Calvisi!
- Steve Keim - Arizona Cardinals GM - Tuesday September 2Steve Keim discusses whether or not the Cardinals roster is set.
- Darren Urban - azcardinals.com - Friday August 29Darren Urban breaks down the latest surrounding the Cardinals' impending roster moves